PDA

View Full Version : first day procuction......they only made 40 that day.

gbethu
07-24-2015, 05:40
Still looking for a single digit Colt 1911. This is as nearest as I could purchase. Help anyone ??????

Mike Josephic
07-25-2015, 12:28
I recall that #38 last year went at auction (I believe it was RIA, Rock Island Auctions) for over $140,000. However, the buyer was upset as it had a replaced barrel (common on those very Colts due to corrosion). I'm told some adjustment to the price was made to calm the buyer but I do not know the details.

So - I wish you good luck in your quest but I hope you have a large reserve in your checking account.
For a single figure Colt I would have no idea how much that could go for.

I have a number 10## which also has a replaced barrel, which is all my bank account can afford.
That was a 5 figure purchase over 10 years ago.

Good luck!

Scott Wilson
07-25-2015, 05:14
How about a shot of the other side.

gbethu
07-26-2015, 08:28
How about a shot of the other side.

Here is the other side of serial number 10

stan4
07-27-2015, 05:41
Still looking for a single digit Colt 1911. This is as nearest as I could purchase. Help anyone ??????

gbethu,

Does No. 10 have an early barrel? If so, show us some of it's details.?

Best Regards,

gbethu
07-28-2015, 01:11
gbethu,

Does No. 10 have an early barrel? If so, show us some of it's details.?

Best Regards,

Sorry for the duplicate photos but I can't remove them without starting over. No markings that I could see.
gordon bethune

The Wolf
07-29-2015, 05:43
Very nice!

Best Regards from Virginia,

Chris

stan4
07-30-2015, 03:01

Sorry for the duplicate photos but I can't remove them without starting over. No markings that I could see.
gordon bethune

Thank you for the barrel pictures.

Best Regards,

Johnny P
07-30-2015, 12:15
Barrel photos pretty blurry, but polish marks look like they are going wrong direction for early barrel. Maybe a sharper photo of chamber area would help.

prewar
07-30-2015, 04:42
I am not saying that is the correct barrel for the gun but the polishing marks are running the right direction (on chamber ) for a gun that early ,would like to see the cut for the link to and the shape of the lug`s and if there is any marking`s . ..

gbethu
07-31-2015, 08:03
I inadvertently loaded the photos I use for reference of the barrel of serial No 39, Chuck Clawson's gun. Sorry. I'll get photos of #10 , 88 and 92 after I return from vacation Sorry for the mix up. Gordon

Rob Greer
07-31-2015, 05:26
Am I seeing things, or is there an "S" stamped on the rear of the barrel hood?

gbethu
07-31-2015, 05:46
Rob, no marks at all anwehere. Used a 10x loop.

Rob Greer
07-31-2015, 08:36
Thanks for the confirmation! I think I should stop drinking... (Funny though... I don't drink!) It must have been something funky with the ipad.

stan4
08-01-2015, 03:30
gbethu,

I hope it is OK to hijack your thread a little.?

See the following thread for another early barrel?: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?46350-Singer-barrels-and-Magazines

I just read gbethu's explanation of the pictures he put up for No. 10---and they turn out to be No.39's barrel. I do not know if it is just ironic, or what I have been told over the last thirty years is true---"you (I) will only get to see one of these barrels". When I first examined No. 39 many years ago---Chuck urged me to study the barrel very closely, because I might find one some day. When I told an old cranky collector about 39 and it's barrel---He said it is the only one you will ever see! Well, I got to examine that early replacement pistol (above link), and I think I got to examine another. So, when gbethu put up pictures of an early barrel, I thought that was another one---turns out to be a barrel I have already studied. I think gbethu has other early barrels, I sure hope we get to see them! I got to examine No. 38---wrong barrel. And another two digit---wrong barrel. Another old collector, who has examined many more than me---believes the only one he has examined is in No. 39.?

I asked many times before---anyone out there (other than gbethu) willing to show us pictures of a very early unmarked Colt barrel?

Best Regards,

stan4
08-01-2015, 10:36
gbethu,

See the following thread for another early barrel?: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?46350-Singer-barrels-and-Magazines

I just read gbethu's explanation of the pictures he put up for No. 10---and they turn out to be No.39's barrel. I do not know if it is ironic, or what I have been told over the last thirty years is true---"you (I) will only get to see one of these barrels". When I first examined No. 39 many years ago---Chuck urged me to study the barrel very closely, because I might find one some day. When I told an old cranky collector about 39 and it's barrel---He said it is the only one you will ever see! Well, I got to examine that early replacement pistol (above link), and I think I got to examine another. So, when gbethu put up pictures of an early barrel, I thought that was another one---turns out to be a barrel I have already studied. I think gbethu has other early barrels, I sure hope we get to see them! I got to examine No. 38---wrong barrel. And another two digit---wrong barrel. Another old collector, who has examined many more than me---believes the only one he has examined is in No. 39.?

I asked many times before---anyone out there (other than gbethu) willing to show us pictures of a very early unmarked Colt barrel?

Best Regards,

OK, I understand. (Just like the details on Singer parts---and helping the fakers.) Anyone out there that thinks (other than gbethu) they have a barrel (without showing it)?

Best Regards,

prewar
08-02-2015, 08:45
gbethu, Stan is the link slot un reviled on (it look`s like it is) .that is one thing I look for on the early barrels .

I just read gbethu's explanation of the pictures he put up for No. 10---and they turn out to be No.39's barrel. I do not know if it is just ironic, or what I have been told over the last thirty years is true---"you (I) will only get to see one of these barrels". When I first examined No. 39 many years ago---Chuck urged me to study the barrel very closely, because I might find one some day. When I told an old cranky collector about 39 and it's barrel---He said it is the only one you will ever see! Well, I got to examine that early replacement pistol (above link), and I think I got to examine another. So, when gbethu put up pictures of an early barrel, I thought that was another one---turns out to be a barrel I have already studied. I think gbethu has other early barrels, I sure hope we get to see them! I got to examine No. 38---wrong barrel. And another two digit---wrong barrel. Another old collector, who has examined many more than me---believes the only one he has examined is in No. 39.?

Best Regards, Stan is the link slot the unrevealed one it looks like it to me it also lacks the step where the chamber meets the barrel and the shape of the lugs have that round look too that is seen on the 1911 barrels .

dsk
08-20-2015, 06:39
Original barrel or not, I think to own the tenth 1911 made out of some 8 million+ such pistols produced to date is about as cool as it gets. Congratulations for being able to find that beauty, and thanks again for sharing it with us.

gbethu
08-20-2015, 08:51
Original barrel or not, I think to own the tenth 1911 made out of some 8 million+ such pistols produced to date is about as cool as it gets. Congratulations for being able to find that beauty, and thanks again for sharing it with us.

Thanks DSK. That's the way I think about all the rare 1911s I own. Everybody has a zit on them somewhere but we won't probably kick them out of bed about it.... Funny though, I put 39's barrel photo instead of #10. Now I know there are many, many more experts on these boards than me....however I think Chuck Clawson might be a better judge than most. Chuck sold me that gun and gave me his word that it was THE most original first day gun known anywhere.. That barrel some are discussing is from #39. My bet is most collectors have never even held a first day gun much less acquired expertise on what a barrel should look like. Just goes to show me that there are those that gotta give their 2 cents and prove (to whom I don't know) that they know more than others. This may be a reason the activity has dropped on this board...I get all the BS i need at home for free. Why ask for it here by sharing a photo ? Everyone who mentioned that this or that wasn't correct is probably full of it (at least Clawson would say so). Why bother to let them see something they won't ever see anywhere else? There are a lot of ways to question the accuracy of what is being offered without giving offense. This was just a test to see what kind of people are on these boards. Please don't forget that I started with the premise that there are many, many on these boards that know far more than me. Now I know there are fewer than I originally thought.

stan4
08-21-2015, 12:24
Thanks DSK. That's the way I think about all the rare 1911s I own. Everybody has a zit on them somewhere but we won't probably kick them out of bed about it.... Funny though, I put 39's barrel photo instead of #10. Now I know there are many, many more experts on these boards than me....however I think Chuck Clawson might be a better judge than most. Chuck sold me that gun and gave me his word that it was THE most original first day gun known anywhere.. That barrel some are discussing is from #39. My bet is most collectors have never even held a first day gun much less acquired expertise on what a barrel should look like. Just goes to show me that there are those that gotta give their 2 cents and prove (to whom I don't know) that they know more than others. This may be a reason the activity has dropped on this board...I get all the BS i need at home for free. Why ask for it here by sharing a photo ? Everyone who mentioned that this or that wasn't correct is probably full of it (at least Clawson would say so). Why bother to let them see something they won't ever see anywhere else? There are a lot of ways to question the accuracy of what is being offered without giving offense. This was just a test to see what kind of people are on these boards. Please don't forget that I started with the premise that there are many, many on these boards that know far more than me. Now I know there are fewer than I originally thought.

gbethu,

Yes?!

Thank you for this thread! It is another opportunity to "shake the tree" on (very) early Colt barrels. (Not the horizontal H with serifs barrel---the barrels that came before them.)

As far as I know, the barrel in 39 is original. I have had three advanced collectors say it is the only very early Colt barrel they have examined. The barrel in the early replacement pistol ( http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?46350-Singer-barrels-and-Magazines ) is exclusive to the receiver and slide it is in, and I believe (and so did Chuck) that it is another example.

There are a few very early pistols out there---anyone think they have one with a very early barrel? (PM me if you like and it will remain confidential.)

It may be difficult to identify the specific characteristics of the very early barrels---because there are so few to examine. Were they all made by the same person? Are they all the same? Are they interchangeable?

Best Regards,

stan4
08-21-2015, 12:38
Stan is the link slot the unrevealed one it looks like it to me it also lacks the step where the chamber meets the barrel and the shape of the lugs have that round look too that is seen on the 1911 barrels .

prewar,

Are you asking about the barrel in 39 or the one in the replacement pistol? These barrels are very similar---but not exactly the same. They are not the same as the early horizontal H with serifs barrels. (It is difficult to identify [demonstrate] the characteristics [differences] with pictures.)

Best Regards,

prewar
08-23-2015, 04:29
prewar,

Are you asking about the barrel in 39 or the one in the replacement pistol? These barrels are very similar---but not exactly the same. They are not the same as the early horizontal H with serifs barrels. (It is difficult to identify [demonstrate] the characteristics [differences] with pictures.)

Best Regards,Well the 2 that you show are later than 39 because of the polishing mark`s on top of the chamber , and yes it look`s like the 2 you show have the unrevealed link slot as far as I can tell from the pic`s .

gbethu
08-23-2015, 07:29
Well the 2 that you show are later than 39 because of the polishing mark`s on top of the chamber , and yes it look`s like the 2 you show have the unrevealed link slot as far as I can tell from the pic`s .

Troy, as I wrote, I inadvertently posted the wrong photos for number 10's barrel. You must be correct as you probably have the most discerning eye of any collector. Of all the paticipants on this discussion board, I respect your analysis of machining marks and general knowledge of what's correct and what's wrong. I'll send you some photos off line for your information. Once again to board participants, my apologies for my error. gordon

joem
08-23-2015, 07:32
Soo very nice!!! Wish it was mine!

stan4
08-24-2015, 12:53
Well the 2 that you show are later than 39 because of the polishing mark`s on top of the chamber , and yes it look`s like the 2 you show have the unrevealed link slot as far as I can tell from the pic`s .

prewar,

I am not sure what your point is? What 2 have I shown? I posted several pictures (over a year ago) of a barrel that is in a early replacement pistol. Post #5 and #9 in, http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?46350-Singer-barrels-and-Magazines, is that barrel. Post #12 (same thread) is of a horizontal H and a vertical H barrel(s). Post #12 is not related to #5 and #9.

I am familiar with the very early barrel in No.39 and the barrel in the replacement pistol. I am also aware of three pictures (on another website) of another (very early?) barrel---but, there is not enough information it those three pictures to tell what it is.

prewar,---Do you have pre-horizontal H barrels, or pictures of them? If so, you could help educate on them.? PM me if you prefer. (As you know, it would be very difficult to fake one of these barrels---particularly from an existing barrel!)

Best Regards,