PDA

View Full Version : Rescued Remington s/n 3,006,771

w10085
08-09-2015, 07:31
OK. I rescued this Remington 1903 with s/n 3,006,771. Less than 7,000 into the Remington production! I know it is in the range of the NZ Lend Lease rifle. It was in a sporter stock with the sight base removed and a Lyman sight added. I hated to see if buggered up any more. My question is what do I do with it now? The sight base will be tough to replace and have it look right. It has a beautiful 11-41 barrel. All the parts are marked R including the trigger guard. The bolt handle is unmarked though. Do I part it out? The parts would be great for some people. Does it have any value to rebuild with the Lyman sight holes? What is it worth as-is with the holes? I did find it interesting that the Parkerizing stayed black under the sight base. I guess they are right that the cosmoline turns it green. Thanks!

John Beard
08-09-2015, 08:46
I applaud your intentions!

Your rifle, however, is not nearly as original as it may appear. The trigger and trigger guard are from much later rifles. The bolt is NOT a Remington bolt. And some of the bolt parts are incorrect.

You can still restore the rifle with all Remington parts if you purchase them economically, and financially break even. The correct early parts, however, are very difficult to find, very expensive when found, and it would be wasteful to put them on a rifle which has already been damaged, i.e., sporterized. I recommend that you just find common Remington parts, reasonably priced, put it back together, and enjoy it.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Kurt
08-10-2015, 02:06
John, I'm curious about the trigger guard and the trigger as to what makes them from a later rifle. The type of R stamping on either? The lightening cut?

thanks and learning

Kurt

w10085
08-10-2015, 02:26
Thanks for sharing your knowledge Mr. Beard. My main goal was to keep the good original parts away from somebody with a buffer and a bluing tank. Since it is not a correct set, I can use the trigger guard for my 3.2 mil Remington. The color is more of a match. I'll probably try to sell the receiver and barrel together to someone who wants a project. I may end up separating them though. I knew the early stock and the sight base would be difficult. I find it interesting that the mix of parts have matching color. I'll admit I have not checked every part to see if it has an R. I assumed that if the major parts did them the minor ones were correct too.

I have a later Remington stock so I could put together a representative Remington as Mr. Beard suggested. I see that mixmasters got for about $650-700 on Gunbroker. What would be a reasonable price to put on this one completely assembled? I know the holes are small but they will always be there. I can put the threaded plug in to camouflage them some. How much of a hit to the price would you expect them to be?

Thanks again!

joem
08-10-2015, 02:38
Drop it in a stock, scope it and shoot it. That's what it was made for.

JimF
08-10-2015, 02:41
. . . . . I can put the threaded plug in to camouflage them some. . . . . .

That's precisely what I would do!

Somehow, the holes with dummy screws installed don't look as bad as GAPEING THREADED holes do! --Jim

Mike D
08-10-2015, 05:59
Punch mark in front of the serial is interesting. Marine or Navy use, maybe?

Mike

louis
08-10-2015, 06:30
Navy

chuckindenver
08-10-2015, 08:23
i replace the rear sight bases daily.. but i have the right tools.
if it were me, id weld the holes shut, and keep going...
repark, new {used} stock, keep moving forward.

John Beard
08-10-2015, 09:39
John, I'm curious about the trigger guard and the trigger as to what makes them from a later rifle. The type of R stamping on either? The lightening cut?

thanks and learning

Kurt

The trigger guard is missing the lightening cut in the front tang. The trigger finger piece has the wrong profile. Plus, the trigger has been refinished and no longer exhibits the original two-tone color.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Kurt
08-11-2015, 08:43
Thanks John always helps.

Kurt

springfield3
08-16-2015, 05:37
Hello,
PM sent
Bob