PDA

View Full Version : Help With Springfield Sporter

quicksylver
08-13-2015, 10:49
I Recently acquired this Springfield Sporter any help identifying it will be greatly appreciated.31939319403194131942

I have plenty more pictures.

The stricker has CV stamped on one side and numbers on the other.

The bottom of the barrel is stamped with the serial number of the gun.

Most parts, the stock, trigger guard, Lyman sight are marked with the last three digits of the serial number.

The trigger parts are numbered with about six digits starting with "B"

The bottom of the receiver is stamped B T .

It has a Star gauged barrel dated 3- 36, ( guessing here because that is the date of manufacture and I can only see a 3 on the month side and 6 as the final year date ,the front sight covers the rest).

Hope we can solve the mystery! Thank! Dan S.

quicksylver
08-13-2015, 10:54
31943319443194531946More Pictures

Herschel
08-13-2015, 02:28
The rifle's serial number falls in with a bunch of National Match 1903's but there are many sales of receivers in that serial number range. The schnable on the stock is a mark of Sedgley work but of course many other makers added that feature. Sorry but a few hints are all that I can offer. It is a nice rifle.

Is there a keyway milled into the rear of he barrel? If not a keyway then it might be a barrel for an NRA Sporter. If it is a sporter barrel the star gauge number should be on the bottom of the barrel under the fore end. It would be a letter of the alphabet over three numerals.

quicksylver
08-13-2015, 06:02
Herschel. Thanks for your interest. There is no upper key way, there is however a channel for the pin that goes through the sight collar on the bottom of the barrel.
Two more things, 1.the trigger is checkered,2. the magazine cut off is none sheriff and bright metal on the bottom.
I will check again for any other numbers on the bottom of the barrel.

dave
08-14-2015, 06:22
Sedgley did not use a cheek piece, normally. I have one and also a catalog. Stoeger's had a custom shop, their rifles were built to a standard type also, they had a similar cheek piece. I think the big gun makers always marked their rifles, such as G&H. There used to be hundreds of talented gun makers back then, so you may never know. It is a well done beautiful rifle!

quicksylver
08-14-2015, 11:07
Dave...... there is so much that says European, i.e. The forend, cheek piece, front swivel and numbering all the parts.
The horn inlay on the tang is especially interesting.319603196131962

dave
08-14-2015, 12:28
Yes, that is true but I can not imagine a European gunsmith using a '03 for a custom sorter. The style was popular here in the US for many (slightly modified in some cases) years until the 'California school of design' was made popular by Weatherbey (sp?), the ugliest rifles ever made in my opinion! Ugh!

m1903rifle
08-14-2015, 02:57
Looks like German gunsmith work to me also. Probably done for a US serviceman ( after WW2 ) who would have had access to the 1903 and the sights via the mail. I once owned a Remington M1903 that looked very similar...it came from a retired Army officer.