PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps a bit interesting for some.....

Darreld Walton
08-14-2015, 03:07
Was trying to organize a bunch of photos on old discs, and ran across these. Taken and posted back prior to the big moves, and lost somewhere in the shuffle, IIRC.
Anyhow, this M1922 was done up by four fellas that started a shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming, called "Ramrod Gunshop", about a block west of the UPRR Depot. Each had a specialty, stock work and checkering, engraving, metal finishing, and machinist. Sadly, Bob Johnson, the fella who had posession of it when I photographed these shots, was the last, and he's now gone.
They did it up as a take-down, crafted the tool set, of course, but I never did hear if they'd gotten round to making up a case for the thing.
In any event, I thought it might be interesting for some budding "customizers" out there to take a look at, and perhaps for some of the rest of us to just look, and say, aaaahhhhh......

Darreld Walton
08-14-2015, 03:28

08-14-2015, 03:35
Whoa! I can honestly say, "Too nice to shoot."

Darreld Walton
08-14-2015, 03:45
Bob, the old fella that had it in possession when I shot these, mentioned that he intended to ship it to the NRA museum. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that by far and away, most stuff contributed to that fine institution end up in storage in the basement. I never did hear what the final disposition was, but I hope it found a good home.

bruce
08-14-2015, 04:09
Beautiful rifle. Deserves to be taken to the range and out in the woods and fields and shot. Hope someone will have that pleasure. Sincerely. bruce.

Jeff L
08-14-2015, 09:56
Michael Petrov would have had a few nice things to say. It's a beaut!

dave
08-15-2015, 04:52
Ahh, but to quote some on these forums and others----"its not original so it has lost all collector value!". I used to get cards from an outfit called 'Gunsmith Guild of Amer.' Every year they did a custom rifle, shogun and auctioned it off. Tickets were 20 bucks and they sold a limited amount, so odds were no where near the lottery. It was a joint effort of several smiths. They did a 1922 one year, not quite as fancy as this one but dam nice! I always bid on the .22's they did but never won. Anyone else ever do that?

Rick the Librarian
08-15-2015, 05:31
Ahh, but to quote some on these forums and others----"its not original so it has lost all collector value!"

There ARE exceptions to the above rule and this rifle is one of them!! :D

Emri
08-15-2015, 05:34
just look, and say, aaaahhhhh......

aaaahhhhh, they certainly were a talented bunch. But really, it HAS to be worth more than $360. Is it still for sale at that price ??

Darreld Walton
08-15-2015, 12:03
IIRC, that $360.00 tag was for little Winchester rimfire rifle. Bob was always a bit "proud" of his stuff, but was always willing to dicker a bit with you, and in fact, I think he would be disappointed without haggling. Bob was the last of those four fella's, and he passed away three or four years back. It seems that a friend of mine over there said he was "well" into his 90's when he passed away. Indeed, his folks were mentioned by Paul Harvey on their 60th, 70th and 75th wedding anniversaries!
Bob was the machinist of the quartet. He was working, if I recall correctly, in the UPRR shops in Cheyenne as a tool and die maker well before WWII.
I had a chance to visit the shop of one of the other fellas. His son took me through to help sort out "a bunch of old military stuff". The rafters were stuffed with a LOT of early 03 stocks, all manufacturers, several stacks of barrels and action parts. One piece that made me cry, though, was a .22 Hornet Model 70 Winchester with the "carbine" length barrel. Apparently, the Hornet round wasn't enough, and before he passed away, he reamed the chamber out to Triple Deuce Remington, and opened the bolt face, then couldn't understand why that 1-16 twist, .222 bore wouldn't shoot the jacketed .224 bullets! I put the rifle back in the rack, wiped a tear away, and found something else to look at.........

Promo
08-16-2015, 02:27
Wow, this rifle is more than just amazing, it is a piece of art! Wish I could own it, that would make me proud to own.

joem
08-16-2015, 03:00
Wow, this rifle is more than just amazing, it is a piece of art! Wish I could own it, that would make me proud to own.

Me to! That would stay in the big safe!!!