PDA

View Full Version : A few more photos....

Darreld Walton
08-15-2015, 12:55
After a bit more digging, I ran into a small album that I shot showing how the Smith Corona 03A3's "morphed". I had not long before "won" a CMP auction for s/n 3,608,304 Smith Corona, 305th serialized rifle in their early production. Barrel was a four groove, 9-42 dated SC barrel. Prior to that the earliest I'd seen on an A3 was around 11-42. This barreled receiver was a drill rifle turn in, with a plugged and cut barrel. I did manage to get the plug out in the interest of inspecting what was left of the barrel. In it's place, I had installed a TWO GROOVE Smith Corona barrel. BTW, that 2 groove SC barrel was a fine shooter! Other notable differences in this early one was the non-serrated rear sight dovetail, also not notched for the windage adjustment knob, no thumb relief in the 'left' receiver rail, different milling technique in the sear groove, and IIRC, a few other minor differences. Note what remains of coarse file work inside and around the receiver of 304.
Also in the bunch, and next up was s/n 3,623,203, just shy of 15,000 serial numbers into production, and perhaps two or three weeks in from startup of production. The rear sight base still wasn't serrated, but the windage knob relief was present. Both of the early receivers had the relief for the magazine cutoff done with much different technique, tools, and pattern.... This rifle, IIRC, WAS an 11-42, six groove, and when I pulled it down to clean it, appeared to legitimately never have been disassembled! Still had yellow crayon markins on the bottomof the barrel and receiver, which had, over the years, transferred onto the adjacent areas of the stock's inletting.
(both of those rifles and parts are now in Maryland with a collector)
The last one was a 4-million s/n, late production SC, to show what the final product looked like after SC got all the "bugs" worked out......... First three photos are of the rear area and top of rear bridge of SC 3,608,304, the next two are from 3.623,203.

Darreld Walton
08-15-2015, 01:03

Darreld Walton
08-15-2015, 01:09

k arga
08-15-2015, 03:26
I've got 3633846' haven't looked at it in a long time , think it is 6 grove.