PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder problems

gatorbone
08-19-2015, 07:40
I bought some once fired .223 brass. And after trimming to length, started sizing them. Well......,I (wrongly so), subscribe to the old adage, if a liitle is goo, a lot is better. I am using cable pulling lube as case lube and it is so easy to get too much. The upshot is there are several cases wit small detents in the shoulder. My question is, is it safe to load and fire these cases. Minimum loads of course.Any responses to this old dummy will certainly be appreciated.

joem
08-19-2015, 08:10
Shoulder dents or oil dents as I call them hasn't seemed to hurt any of my reloads. Do check the vent hole in your die. If it's stoped up you'll get dents in almost every case. Also wash out you dies every so often and apply a little (LITTLE) lub to the inside of the decap die. As a after thought on my part, your trimming should be performed after sizing. I trim mine to min length after sizing. Good luck. If you have any other questions almost everybody will answer then.

DaveL
08-19-2015, 09:57
I second what joem said. I also think you would be better off using any brand of real case lube. If I remember right, cable lube is more like grease which makes it too thick and could well be the contributing factor for your dents. In any case, your using to much lube.
HTH
DaveL

Major Tom
08-19-2015, 10:17
I use Imperial lube exclusively.

Sunray
08-19-2015, 11:01
Excess lube dents won't hurt anything. Does sound like cable pulling lube(pulled miles of Ethernet cable without any such thing myself) is too much.
Lubing cases shouldn't need anything fancy. Just a pad with a light coat of lube(partial to RCBS lube myself) on it. Once down and back and you're done.

PhillipM
08-19-2015, 11:14
I dump mine in a Folgers can and shoot a dab of Pam cooking spray and then shake them up.

gatorbone
08-19-2015, 12:24
Many thanks to all for the info and advice. Pretty sure I'll go to standard case lube from now on.

joem
08-19-2015, 12:57
I used to use Dillon's case lube. I now make my own out of "fluid film' and alcohol solvent. I think that is close to what dillon sells.

tmark
08-19-2015, 07:23
I occasionally get shoulder dents in my 06 brass. The dents "shoot out" just fine after firing them. No problems.

psteinmayer
08-20-2015, 04:00
I've been using Hornady One Shot for years and it works great! Best of all, it doesn't affect powder or primers like an oil based lube does, so there is no worries of problems there either. I've also used PAM cooking spray in a pinch. Just remember to really clean your cases afterward (I dumped them in a sink full of dish soap, then rinsed and let air dry... worked fine).

mikld
08-20-2015, 02:14
I'm one of those fellers that have had no problems shooting out the occasional "lube dent". I haven't found "dedicated case lube" to be really necessary and I have successfully use a number of products. Cable pulling lube is a water soluble, thin paste (or at least the one used by a very large Power Department for a very large west coast city is) and looks and works just like Lee's case lube. I have used solid lanoline, rubbed on my fingers then on the case, and I have diluted some lanoline in alcohol. Both work quite well. I have used several other products not necessarily firearm related to successfully lube size some brass from Mink Oil Boot dressing to Pam, Chapstick, Bag Balm and once even tried STP. All work to some extent, some better than others and most just as good as commercial, "dedicated" case lube and some clean up easily and some are a real pain to get off the cases.

BlitzKrieg
08-21-2015, 12:23
I use Imperial lube exclusively.

100% great solution. This works..no alibi. Chase PAM, STP, and any spray lube out there
and then, when you are finally finished chasing rainbows, just buy a tin of Imperial and
your agony is over.

gatorbone
08-23-2015, 12:03
Again, thanx to all for your insight.

Matt Anthony
08-24-2015, 02:39
You should trim after you size your brass. The sizing die changes the length.
Matt

Griff Murphey
08-29-2015, 08:28
I've had trouble with Pam killing primers. Don't recommend it myself. I'm sure if you are real careful it can be made to work. I wasn't.

StockDoc
08-29-2015, 10:20
I use the Hornady spray, no problems, have used it about 20 yrs

Major Tom
08-30-2015, 02:52
I too have shoulder problems which is why I use a very soft (limb saver) slip on shoulder pad.