PDA

View Full Version : Location of "US Property" on M1911s? - a tale of two 1918s

Rick the Librarian
08-23-2015, 08:11
I have a M1911 in the 558,000 range with the "US Property" on the correct side, which is the right side (moved there from the left side, according to Clawson in the 500,000-510,000 range). An acquaintance has a 1918 M1911 in the 551,000 range with the US Property on the LEFT side.

Any ideas why this is the case? Was there a "transitional" period where the stamp could have been on either side?

Southron
08-23-2015, 09:43
I worked for Euroarms of America back in the 1970's. While (obviously) we had no military contracts, I gained an entirely different perspective as to WHY things happen that creates minor differences in the markings or details of firearms.

My perspective then was to get all of the high quality firearms we could "out to the door" and sold. Screw ups back at the factory happened from time to time. For example, we received AN ENTIRE CONTAINER LOAD OF REPLICA REVOLVERS that had no proof marks on them what-so-ever.

Someone at the factory really screwed up as the guns were never sent to the Proof House in Brescia to be "Proved" and then marked.

Italian law requires that firearms be proofed. There are NO American Proof laws.

So, we sold them just like they were any other of our products.

I have no doubt that in the future, collectors of replica firearms will drive themselves crazy trying to figure out WHY their replica Euoarms of America revolver has no Proof Marks. Were they made in the United States on parts shipped from Italy??? Collectors love to speculate as the WHY things happen that accounts for differences in a particular model of firearms over its production run.

So, regarding as to WHY the stamping of the "U.S. Property" marking was changed from one side of the .45 Auto to the other might have been as simple as it would allow production to be speeded up, the old stamping die broke and they began using a new one, etc.

Just keep in mind that from the perspective of the .45 Auto manufacturers during those long ago wars, their primary concern was to get as many high quality .45 Auto's manufactured and delivered to Uncle Sam as fast as possible.

Johnny P
08-23-2015, 10:32
It is not unusual to find pistols that were held up for any number of reasons. The serial number was among the last thing applied to the pistol, so if a left side USP receiver was sent back for some minor correction it wouldn't have to be held up for long before the serial numbers had advanced considerably.

Rick the Librarian
08-23-2015, 07:11
Thanks, Johnny - sounds like the story with Remington M1903s, too!