PDA

View Full Version : WTS SA WW2 Vet Bringback M1

acburkejr
09-10-2015, 05:36
I have for sale a WW2 vet bringback SA M1 Garand. Serial #14761XX with SA barrel dated 4-43. Barrel is in good condition with strong rifling and shiny bore. Other than that photos tell the story.
Asking $2200 shipped to FFL / C&R from non-FFL. Please contact me via email at kfrgac@prodigy.net . Photos can be viewed at: http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/acburkejr/library/Vet%20Bringback%20M1

Major Tom
09-11-2015, 04:34
How do you know it is a WW2 vet bring-back?

dave
09-11-2015, 05:05
Buy the gun, not the story!

Major Tom
09-14-2015, 05:02
Troops coming back from combat areas were not allowed to "bring back" U.S. weapons especially long arms. Their seabags and duffle bags were searched.

dave
09-14-2015, 05:26
Same with Korea, altho I did get some bayo's thru the mail. The bastards even took my belt cause it was Army issue, which was all we could get in Korea and I had to buy! (I was AF)

Col. Colt
09-21-2015, 10:45
Not so, at least in many cases. Sorry guys, but lots and lots of issued weapons were "brought back" by Veterans - up through Vietnam, at least. (And I just talked to someone who saw an AK-47 a buddy claimed to have brought back, very recently - it helps to know someone in Military Airlift.)
Back then it was a pretty common practice, as times and attitudes were very different. There were only paper records, that usually didn't keep up with the troops through four transfers, and no, they did not search everybody every time - or even very often. How do I know? My dad (82nd Airborne Paratroop Sgt.) brought an M1 home when he mustered out in 1946. Fits neatly in a GI duffle bag, broken down, along with some Ball, Tracer and AP ammo.
Our next door neighbor was a BAR gunner in Korea - and had a real BAR behind his bedroom closet door for years.

My ex-wife's Dad was a Battle of the Bulge MP Vet who brought home his M1911A1 and web gear. If you watch the movie "Battle of the Bulge", Max was the MP Sgt. who spotted that the "American Column" at the crossroads was actually a German column - because he was a German who came to America right after WWI to live with his uncle.

And I never recall anyone being shocked, surprised or bothered by the practice - or being turned in or called a thief - the weapons were "earned" in the thinking of virtually all soldiers - though you could not bring the one serialed to you back unless it was a "combat loss" - because you might or might not have to pay for it.

"The Past is another Country - they do things differently there". Col. Jeff Cooper (from his book of the same name) CC

wayne
09-21-2015, 04:57
My TO weapon was a 1911A1 and I took it to my home off base all the time. Our seabags were never searched when we came back state side, even when a brand new unfired M14 came up missing.

gunner312
09-21-2015, 05:54
AS I remember, when I enlisted in 1963, when you got out you could purchase your issue weapon from the Corps for about 85.00. I think that there was some paperwork involved and the C.O had to sign off on it but it was possible. That went away when the M14's were issued. I had a H&R Garand that I qualified expert with that I wish I had.

tbone69
09-21-2015, 06:29
these guys helped keep our country free for not much money and lots of loss. if they want to keep a few dollars worth of memories I say let them have it. leave the vets alone. I think our gov't can afford it.

Tuna
09-21-2015, 08:17
A lot of stuff came home from WW2 through Viet Nam. I know of quite a few carbines that came home as well as 1911A1''s and even US as well as German grenades. From Viet Nam I know of at least one AK-47, a Laws rocket plus a French 1938 sub machinegun that made it back.