PDA

View Full Version : Mark I receiver

Jackrabbitslim
09-14-2015, 03:36
Got a new receiver in and wanted to pick the great minds on this forum.
Already had a SRS check done(thanks m1903rifle!).
Left the armory late 1918.
Bolt is incorrect, should be J6.
Trigger incorrect, should be grooved.
Not worried about sear and pawl, as I'll likely never own Peterson Device anyway.
Cutoff and safety should be seriff.
Safety should have no hole.

Am I tracking right, or otherwise missing something?
And I'd welcome any deductions on bolt and trigger guard being serial numbered to the action. I'm guessing Greek return?

Thanks!

Rick the Librarian
09-14-2015, 03:39
What is your "final objective" on this?

Jackrabbitslim
09-14-2015, 03:43
Just to bring it back as close to original military configuration as $ allows. I've already done an A-3, with a second one on the way. Just the nostalgic type I guess.

Rick the Librarian
09-14-2015, 04:12
Not trying to tell you how to do it, but if it were me, I wouldn't worry about finding the "exact" parts like a J6 bolt. You could do a "generic" M1903 for a lot less money and still have it look decent.

Fred
09-14-2015, 04:25
I believe that Mark I's had the thick, non grooved trigger. Grooved only for the non-Mark I rifles of wartime (WWI) manufacture.

Jackrabbitslim
09-14-2015, 05:41
I don't mind spending a little coin to put a correct bolt back on it. Or the correct safety. It's not like we're making these rifles anymore. It may be a little sappy, but when I look at one of these old rifles, kinda makes me a little sad. I mean, craftsmen put these things together. Out of iron mined here, and trees logged here. And then it was issued to a young American and sent with him to foreign shores.
Now this country has its rifles made of plastic and aluminium, cast by foreign companies. We'll never see the kind of effort put into a domestically produced battle rifle again.
I'd just like to see this one put back right.

Sorry, rant off.

Kurt
09-14-2015, 07:57
You might want to find a correct SA bolt shroud as well, the one on it's Smith Corona. I think you have other options on bolt, a J5 would probably be correct as well.

Jackrabbitslim
09-14-2015, 08:19
You might want to find a correct SA bolt shroud as well, the one on it's Smith Corona. I think you have other options on bolt, a J5 would probably be correct as well.

Thank you my friend!
How can you tell the shroud was SC?

Rick the Librarian
09-15-2015, 06:19
The "beveled" look - compare it with almost any other shroud.

Kurt
09-15-2015, 08:10
The "beveled" look - compare it with almost any other shroud.

What he said and it has BP (Bay Products) stamped on it which I believe is a replacement part for S/C. If I recall, original sleeves had a G on them someplace. ....another S/C identifier. Remington's will have the R, SA usually has nothing but regardless they don't have the S/C dip or bevel down the top plane.

PhillipM
09-15-2015, 08:52
The cutoff is unique to a Mk I as well. It is C in the picture.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32410&stc=1

Calfed
09-18-2015, 08:06
This could involve a lot of dough.

You will need a 1918 barrel and the proper stock is relieved around the port on the left side of the receiver. You will also need a rear sight and base.

not trying to throw cold water on your project, but you need to go into it with both eyes open.

Rick the Librarian
09-19-2015, 05:55
That's why I suggested more of a "generic" 1903. But again, your rifle and your money.

louis
09-19-2015, 08:30
FYI I've been looking for a half way decent RIA 1918 barrel for a long time. Not like it was a few years ago. Now the parts are scarce expensive and you have to know what your buying because there is a lot of junk now.

Jackrabbitslim
09-20-2015, 07:54
Yeah, I've noticed a distinct lack of 1918 dated barrels. Guess something with a later date may be in order. But I'm not up against any timeline. Some damn kid will probably scope it with an acog when I'm dead anyway.:eusa_wall:

springfield3
09-20-2015, 08:38
Hello,
PM sent about Mark 1 items
Bob

Calfed
09-20-2015, 09:05
Yeah, I've noticed a distinct lack of 1918 dated barrels. Guess something with a later date may be in order. But I'm not up against any timeline. Some damn kid will probably scope it with an acog when I'm dead anyway.:eusa_wall:

I've heard that many of the MkI's were stored after WWI along with the Pedersen devices they were designed to use. In 1931 the Pedersen devices themselves were destroyed and in the late 30's the MKI rifles were taken out of storage and returned to non-MKI configuration. I've also heard that many of the MKI rifles still have their original barrels mounted. I have a MKI and the barrel is in great shape and appears to be original (dated 11-19). This could be a result of the long storage period, resulting in the barrels receiving little use.

That could make unattached MK1-era barrels scarce.

Jackrabbitslim
09-20-2015, 09:41
I've heard that many of the MkI's were stored after WWI along with the Pedersen devices they were designed to use. In 1931 the Pedersen devices themselves were destroyed and in the late 30's the MKI rifles were taken out of storage and returned to non-MKI configuration. I've also heard that many of the MKI rifles still have their original barrels mounted. I have a MKI and the barrel is in great shape and appears to be original (dated 11-19). This could be a result of the long storage period, resulting in the barrels receiving little use.

That could make unattached MK1-era barrels scarce.

I can find no fault with that logic.