PDA

View Full Version : 1916 Holster

hvymech
09-14-2015, 08:31
When did the US Army start using the black 1916 holster?

Richard Turner/Turner Saddlery
09-15-2015, 05:14
I checked Scott Meadows book "U.S. Military Holsters and Pistol Cartridge Boxes" and he states that one of the first contracts let for the M1916 holster to be made of black leather was in 1956 to the Service Manufacturing Company, Yonkers, NY, as well as other contractors. All services were dying the russet/brown holsters black prior to the issue of the 1956 contract. With the Air Force and USMC being some of the first to change colors. I ran into quite a few holsters with WWII dates at both Camp Lejeune, NC, and Camp Pendleton, CA, during the late 1970s through early 1990s, that had been dyed black. These holsters were still available for issue through supply in various units for guard duty. During the late 1970s, most USMC Military Police Units had moved on to more modern type police holsters for MP Issue, except when performing field duties.

In 1978, I was assigned field duty at Camp Wilson, 29 Palms, CA, on a CAX (Combined Arms Exercise) and brought a WWII dated (Boyt 42) M1916 Holster in brown leather that my Dad had given to me which he acquired while in the Navy 50-54, and I was told by the First Sgt. to dye it black if I wanted to use it. My Company Commander finally gave me permission to use it while on duty in the field, but to check out a black issue holster in the future. Still have the holster somewhere packed away.

Richard L. Turner
GySgt USMC Ret

Military Police 1977-1982
CID Agent (Criminal Investigator) 1982-1997