PDA

View Full Version : Headspace problems in a 1903 Remington

Kragrifle
09-21-2015, 05:15
I took delivery of a very nice, late production 1903 Remington over the weekend. Outside of rifle showed very little sign of use, but bore was horrible. Cleaned it and though it looked pretty good, I decided to put a few rounds through it to clean up the grooves and lands. I did not check the headspace (!). While shooting it I had one round that would not load all the way. Also, noticed the case neck split on two of the five bullets I fired. When I got home and cleaned the bore, it looked great! However, when I checked the headspace the GO gauge would not close. I then remembered John Beard relating how quite a few of the rifles they got it at CMP needed to be reamed to headspace correctly. Lucky I did not get into trouble.

Jackrabbitslim
09-21-2015, 05:39
Bet you won't do that again!:grommit:
Glad you and the rifle came out unharmed.

joem
09-21-2015, 06:46
Lucky, it's a easy fix.

John Beard
09-21-2015, 02:34
I took delivery of a very nice, late production 1903 Remington over the weekend. Outside of rifle showed very little sign of use, but bore was horrible. Cleaned it and though it looked pretty good, I decided to put a few rounds through it to clean up the grooves and lands. I did not check the headspace (!). While shooting it I had one round that would not load all the way. Also, noticed the case neck split on two of the five bullets I fired. When I got home and cleaned the bore, it looked great! However, when I checked the headspace the GO gauge would not close. I then remembered John Beard relating how quite a few of the rifles they got it at CMP needed to be reamed to headspace correctly. Lucky I did not get into trouble.

That is correct!

I would guesstimate that about 1 out of every 5 M'03-A3's won't headspace, i.e., headspace too short. I tell the guy(s) I'm working with that I'm "off to see the wizard!" because the chambering room is across the building about 100 feet away. Then I go walking away singing The Wizard of Oz song. :banana100:

I have learned that the chamber corresponding to the outside corner of the cartridge shoulder collects residue over time which can effectively shorten headspace. If you can somehow manage to get a stiff brush or scraper in the chamber and scrub that corner, it may correct your problem. At the CMP, it's just easier to "go see the wizard!" and ream the chamber.

Hope this helps. Good Luck! :hello:

J.B.

Kragrifle
09-23-2015, 05:32
Is there any way to get a chamber reamer on a long extension into the chamber without removing the barrel from the receiver? Maybe I could ream it by hand enough to get the GO gauge to go.

stretch74
09-23-2015, 06:24
Yes. Pacific Tool and Gauge makes a pull through reamer, among others companies. The price of the reamer is probably equivalent to what a gunsmith would charge you to do it.

John Beard
09-23-2015, 07:53
Is there any way to get a chamber reamer on a long extension into the chamber without removing the barrel from the receiver? Maybe I could ream it by hand enough to get the GO gauge to go.

At the CMP, we use a reamer that attaches to the end of a cleaning rod. I simply insert the reamer into the chamber, insert the cleaning rod down the barrel, twist the cleaning rod until it threads and seats in the reamer, then proceed to ream the chamber. I left out several steps for brevity. The cleaning rod has a handle solidly wedged on the end so the rod can be turned with force when reaming.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

p.s.,

Another technique that can remove the possible residue I described is to screw a 38 or 45 caliber bore brush onto the end of a cleaning rod segment, remove the bolt, shove the bore brush into the chamber, then spin the cleaning rod with a drill motor.

chuckindenver
09-23-2015, 09:19
simple T handle wrench works well..