PDA

View Full Version : Smith Corona 1903a3 I have been offered - Please Help

anton67
09-26-2015, 08:21
Hello,
I was offered this SC 03A3 for $600.00.
I am going to look at it in person hopefully this week.
The seller is sending me more photos.
Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.
I have not looked into these for a while, what is their price range?
How much does a shooter run?32567325683256932570

Parashooter
09-26-2015, 09:52
. . . How much does a shooter run?

A good shooter with enough ammunition shouldn't have to run from anyone.:icon_rolleyes:

bruce
09-26-2015, 10:57
Nice clean rifle. Stock looks good. For $600 that is a very nice rifle. Be sure and check the muzzle for wear and the bore for erosion as a consequence of shooting corrosive ammunition. If the bore and muzzle are good this looks like a great rifle. If everything checks out good, I'd be reaching for my wallet! Sincerely. bruce.

John Beard
09-26-2015, 11:19
The rifle has been arsenal-overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. Nevertheless, the rifle is easily worth $600 if it has a serviceable bore and no cracks in the stock.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

J.B.

09-26-2015, 11:40
The rifle has been arsenal-overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. Nevertheless, the rifle is easily worth $600 if it has a serviceable bore and no cracks in the stock.

J.B.
Looks good for 600

anton67
09-28-2015, 10:43
Thank you for your input.
How can you tell that the rifle has been arsenal-overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts?

rebound
09-28-2015, 01:28
How can you tell that the rifle has been arsenal-overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts?

With age comes wisdom (in most cases that is ) And with JB he has seen and handled more 03 s than the average guy ever thought off.. So what he says you can take to the bank............

John Beard
09-28-2015, 06:34

1. The bolt sleeve and cocking piece are replacements.
2. The bolt has been refinished.
3. The lower band appears refinished
4. The handguard retaining ring appears refinished
5. The trigger guard appears to be a replacement.
6. The stock is from a much later rifle.

Satisfied? Hope this helps.

J.B.

anton67
09-29-2015, 04:50
Thank you John.
It is not that I didnt believe you.
I wanted the info so I can tell the seller why he should give it to me for a better price (since it is not a collector rifle).
I will probably offer $500 if the bore looks good and no other issues.

John Beard
09-29-2015, 05:13
No offense taken. Happy to help.

Good Luck!

J.B.

anton67
10-01-2015, 04:35
Here are some more photos the guy sent me today.
Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Also I was told there are certain serial numbered rifles you are supposed to stay away from, is this one of them?
Thank you again in advance.

MikeS
10-01-2015, 06:47
With This early of a reciever you should ask the barrel date. There is a possibility that it could be a 6 groove barrel which makes it a more desirable rifle.

John Beard
10-01-2015, 07:22
Anton67,

The photos appear to depict an early arsenal-overhauled Smith-Corona rifle in splendid condition. I see nothing wrong with the rifle. I further note that the original sling adds reasonable value. At $600, the rifle appears to be an excellent buy if the stock is not cracked and the bore is serviceable.

With respect to M'03-A3's, one should stay away from rifles in the S/N 5,000,000 range and above.

J.B.

anton67
10-02-2015, 04:31
OK, I got the barrel date.
Is the barrel original to the receiver?
Is it a 6 grove?

MikeS
10-02-2015, 07:11
With a barrel date of 3/43 it appears to be original to the rifle but most likely it is a 4 groove barrel. If it were a 2/43 it would have a better chance of being a 6 groove. I am by far no expert, but from what I can recall the 6 groove barrels that SC obtained from Savage Arms with a waiver from the Ordinance Department were used up within the 1st 5000 rifles made in the first batch of serial numbers. The only way to tell is to look down the barrel from the muzzle with it being illuminated from the receiver/chamber end and count the lands and grooves. That is the only way to tell for sure. I will defer to JB on this as he is the resident expert in this area. If I am wrong please feel free to correct my errors.

Jackrabbitslim
10-02-2015, 07:15
Anton67,

The photos appear to depict an early arsenal-overhauled Smith-Corona rifle in splendid condition. I see nothing wrong with the rifle. I further note that the original sling adds reasonable value. At $600, the rifle appears to be an excellent buy if the stock is not cracked and the bore is serviceable.

With respect to M'03-A3's, one should stay away from rifles in the S/N 5,000,000 range and above.
The

J.B.

Giggles!
Well played Mr Beard. :icon_salut:

John Beard
10-02-2015, 07:24
With a barrel date of 3/43 it appears to be original to the rifle but most likely it is a 4 groove barrel. If it were a 2/43 it would have a better chance of being a 6 groove. I am by far no expert, but from what I can recall the 6 groove barrels that SC obtained from Savage Arms with a waiver from the Ordinance Department were used up within the 1st 5000 rifles made in the first batch of serial numbers. The only way to tell is to look down the barrel from the muzzle with it being illuminated from the receiver/chamber end and count the lands and grooves. That is the only way to tell for sure. I will defer to JB on this as he is the resident expert in this area. If I am wrong please feel free to correct my errors.

Since you invited my response, I will respond.

The SC six-groove barrels were indeed supplied under waiver, but they didn't come from Savage Arms. They came from High Standard. And the quantity is not known. The later six-groove barrels were mixed in with 4-groove barrels and did not necessarily appear on the first 5,000 rifles, or any other specific quantity for that matter. Most were gradually phased out by 3-43.

The best way to count the number of grooves is to shine a pocket flashlight on the muzzle and count the number of grooves visible at or just behind the muzzle crown. Counting the number of grooves by peeking down the bore requires concentration.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

p.s.,

The SC/3-43 barrel matches the serial number and is the original barrel with extremely high probability. The barrel is 4-groove with about 85% probability.

MikeS
10-02-2015, 07:41
Thanks John for the correct info. I remembered reading that the 6 grooves came from Savage. Don't recall the author and I would have to dig through some stuff to find it. When I do I will let you know.

Best Regards,

Mike

John Beard
10-02-2015, 07:49
Thanks John for the correct info. I remembered reading that the 6 grooves came from Savage. Don't recall the author and I would have to dig through some stuff to find it. When I do I will let you know.

Best Regards,

Mike

I can save you some effort. The original source was Clark Campbell. But other follow-on authors have perpetuated the myth. Fiction is almost always more believable than truth.

J.B.

MikeS
10-04-2015, 11:03
Well you are exactly right and I of course later recalled an article in American Rifleman from a few years ago. Canfield authored an article dated March 12, 2010 where the wrong information you spoke of is mentioned. It sure can get confusing.

Thanks Again John for the help with the correct information.

Mike

Rick the Librarian
10-05-2015, 05:39
People tend to "build" on wrong information. Another example is CC-marked bolts. William Brophy stated in his books that "CC" was "Chrysler Corporation" and was standard on Smith-Corona M1903A3s. Needless to say, this has shown up in later publications.

Allen Humphrey
10-05-2015, 07:34
For what it is worth, I've recorded SC 3-43 6 goove barrels just 473 rifles ahead of yours and 438 rifles behind yours. Please let us know what you find!

John Beard
10-05-2015, 03:57
People tend to "build" on wrong information. Another example is CC-marked bolts. William Brophy stated in his books that "CC" was "Chrysler Corporation" and was standard on Smith-Corona M1903A3s. Needless to say, this has shown up in later publications.

With all due respect, I do not believe that Brophy stated or implied that "CC" bolts were standard on Smith-Corona M'03-A3's. What Brophy did do, however, is place a photo in his book of an arsenal-overhauled Smith-Corona M'03-A3 that had been fitted with a "CC" bolt. Brophy failed to point out that the rifle had been arsenal-overhauled and re-assembled from mixed parts. Perhaps he didn't know. In any event, creative authors took the bait and authoritatively declared that all Smith-Corona M'03-A3's were factory-fitted with "CC" bolts.

Now we know better. But the myth still persists.

J.B.

p.s.,

Brophy did erroneously identify "CC" as Chrysler Corporation. But in Brophy's defense, his source was an official Army Ordnance publication that identified contractor codes. The publication has long since been discredited. While rummaging through the National Archives, I found an Ordnance typewritten listing from the late-WWII period of correct contractor codes.

anton67
10-05-2015, 05:19
OK guys I picked up the rifle today for $500.
Here are some photos.
I do not think it is a six grove barrel but I would appreciate you all double checking me.
Also do these photos change any of your opinions?
Did I still get my money's worth?
The muzzle gauges just under a 2.

anton67
10-05-2015, 05:21
more

anton67
10-05-2015, 05:23
additional pics

anton67
10-05-2015, 05:23
last

John Beard
10-05-2015, 07:56
The bore is 4-groove.

If you bought that rifle for $500; with good fortune like that, perhaps you should go buy a lottery ticket!

Congratulations!

J.B.

Allen Humphrey
10-05-2015, 08:20
Great buy! Thanks for the extra pics.

edit: The muzzle has a little nick at 1 o'clock. You might touch that up before your first range trip.

Rick the Librarian
10-06-2015, 05:50
With all due respect, I do not believe that Brophy stated or implied that "CC" bolts were standard on Smith-Corona M'03-A3's.
Now we know better. But the myth still persists.

J.B.

That's what I get for relying on my (rapidly failing) memory!! LOL!

rebound
10-07-2015, 09:27
That's what I get for relying on my (rapidly failing) memory!! LOL!

Better that correction, than being accused of sniffing bore cleaner again......