PDA

View Full Version : Eagle head marking on a Krag rifle

Kragrifle
09-28-2015, 05:02
I have yet to master the art of posting photos, but would appreciate input on a Krag rifle listed on the Krag forum as a rifle with peculiar markings. I actually bought the rifle as I have never seen this marking on a Krag before, but knew they were still in service when these eagle head inspector markings were around. The difference here is that the eagle is facing in the opposite direction from those I have seen on 1903 Springfield rifles. Can anyone shed some light on this? I have not been able to find any information through web searches or in my reference library.

Thanks

John Beard
10-01-2015, 03:24
With U.S. entry into WWI, Army Ordnance began contracting for massive amounts of war materiel. And all materiel delivered to the government had to be inspected to ensure that it conformed with contract requirements. Army Ordnance, therefore, suddenly found itself in need of large numbers of inspectors, far and wide. Army Ordnance responded by organizing an Inspection Department (within the Ordnance Dept.), transferred all the inspectors in there, and charged them with inspecting all war materiel. Curiously, the SA final inspectors were also apparently placed under the jurisdiction of the Inspection Dept. and they were issued Eagle Head stamps. I doubt that made them very happy. I'm not sure of the exact dates that the Inspection Dept. was organized and abolished, but Eagle Head stamps were in use at SA only during calendar year 1918.

If your rifle's Eagle Head is facing in the opposite direction, that seriously brings into question its authenticity. The Eagle Head stamps were issued by the Inspection Dept. and all would be the same in that respect.

J.B.

butlersrangers
10-01-2015, 04:23
Here is a picture of Kragrifle's 'eagle marked' Krag stock and similar, but, reversed marking on Eddystone model 1917:

Kragrifle
10-03-2015, 10:00
Stamping looks legitimate and aged. It may be that part of the eagle's head is missing, making it look reversed. My interest in this is that this is the first of this type of inspector mark I have ever seen on a Krag. Doubt anyone would fake it as the only one that would care would be me. What do you think Mr. Beard?
I can email a better photo to you. Thanks.

John Beard
10-03-2015, 08:57
The Eagle Head stamp appears authentic enough, and I have little doubt that it is. But I question whether or not the stamp dates from 1918. I suspect it dates earlier and has no connection with the Inspection Department.

J.B.

Kragrifle
10-04-2015, 06:14
butlersrangers tipped me off about the rifle. I bought it since Krags are my main interest and I had never seen this inspector mark on a Krag before. As I said in my email, it looks like it is dated 1916 (?) and while the eagle looks like some of the eagles on Harper's Ferry muskets, it is facing the wrong way. At any rate, I appreciate the tip (butlersrangers) and the input from Mr. Beard.

Emri
10-05-2015, 05:40
Stamping looks legitimate and aged. It may be that part of the eagle's head is missing, making it look reversed

That was my impression when I viewed the posted pictures.

John Beard
10-05-2015, 04:06
I have enlarged and meticulously compared the two stampings. When I have compared specific clear features and given consideration that the stampings might be reversed, I still find little commonality between the two stampings. I, therefore, believe that the Krag stamping is not an Eagle Head and/or does not date from the 1918 period.

J.B.