PDA

View Full Version : RtL's October book sale!

Rick the Librarian
10-05-2015, 04:58
Book list “neatened” for easier reading. Books no longer listed have been sold. Plenty of good books left!!

Gathered together are a large number of books on World War II as well as a few on other wars and topics. Take a look for “bundle” prices on multiple books for sale on one category.

A) Payment can be made by check or money order. I may have to hold checks until they clear unless you are known to me. Paypal can be used, but a 4% premium will be added to offset fees charged by Paypal unless you do it as a gift/family.

B) All prices do not include shipping. Shipping is done by USPS Media Mail, which I have found economical and secure. I will quote a shipping price, when you make an offer. Insurance is optional. Although I pack and ship very carefully, I can’t be responsible if you don’t insure large purchases.

C) Books vary in condition and I do my best to describe them properly. Books are hard-backed unless otherwise mentioned. Any questions will be gladly answered. I will also provide reasonable pictures of the books or their content if you want. Obviously, “I’ll take it” trumps over “Can you send me more information?” 

D) When you contact me about these books, please inquire by book title, not number. You can contact me through this forum or at –rrsbls@msn.com-- (remove dashes)

E) These books are listed on several forums. If two people want the same book I accept the earlier "I'll take it". I attempt to update the list at least once a day, and usually more often.

I. “Rick’s Picks

1. “The 84th Infantry Division in the Battle of Germany” by Theodore Draper. SPF

2. “The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge” by David McCullough. The dramatic and enthralling story of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge, the world’s longest suspension bridge at the time, a tale of greed, corruption, and obstruction but also of optimism, heroism, and determination, told by master historian David McCullough. Excellent trade ppk. $7.95

3. “Ship of Ghosts” by James Hornfischer. The story of the doomed heavy cruiser USS Houston. FDR’s flagship from before WWII, she fought her last battle off the Sunda Straits in early 1942 against overwhelming odds. The survivors worked on Japan’s “Death Railway”. An epic story. Trade ppk. Ex.-near new, $7.95

4. “Six Frigates: The Foundation of the US Navy” by Ian Toll. Not confined to sea battles, Toll's history of the U.S. Navy's formative decades, from the mid-1790s to the War of 1812, rounds out affairs by anchoring the nascent navy to its financial supports. Navies are not inexpensive, and the costs of building and maintaining ships appear lightly but persistently in Toll's narrative. It centers on the first vessels purpose-built for the navy, the half-dozen frigates of which the USSConstitution moored in Boston today is the last survivor. A best-seller and “starred” review. Near new, $9.95

II. World War II – [NOTE: Due to the large numbers of books listed, descriptions will be limited. Please free to PM/Email for more information]

1. “Forest in Hell” by Paul Boesch. SPF

2. “Night of the Intruders” by Ian McLachlan. A large number of B-24 and B-17 bombers were shadowed by four German aircraft on their way home and a large number are killed. Rare! Near new to brand new, $15.00

3. “The Longest Battle: The War at Sea, 1939-1945” by Richard Hough (G) A general history of WWII at sea, written by one of the most distinguished naval historians. Trade ppk. Near, new, $6.95
4. “Days of Infamy” by John Costello. Costello relates a litany of miscalculations and outright manipulation that cost the United States and Britain dearly. In his indictment of Churchill, MacArthur, and Roosevelt, he shows expert command of recently declassified documents and primary source material. Costello reveals that it was the loss of U.S. airpower in the Philippines, not the loss of U.S. warships at Pearl Harbor, that facilitated Japanese victories in the Pacific. Near new, $7.50

5. “The Last Escape: Allied Prisoners of War in Germany, 1944-45”. By John Nichol. POWs were herded from their camps and forced at gunpoint to walk many hundreds of miles deeper into Germany on what the POWs themselves called the Death March. VG-ex. trade ppk. $4.95

6. “War Beneath the Waves” by Don Keith. In late 1943, the US sub Billfish undergoes a terrible depth charge attack. The diving officer has to assume command in the midle of this attack and bring the sub home. Trade ppk. VG, $4.95

7. “Masters and Commanders: The four Titans Who Won WWII” by Andrew Roberts. An outstanding example of a joint biography in this study of the actions and interactions of Franklin Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, George Marshall and Alan Brooke. The president, the prime minister and their respective army chiefs of staff were the vital nexus of the Anglo-American alliance in WWII. The path was anything but smooth. Near new, $7.50

8. “Thunderbolt: Gen. Creighton Abrams and the Army of His Times” by Lewis Sorley. Abrams (1914-1974) made a name for himself during WW II's Battle of the Bulge when he led his tank battalion in relief of an encircled American division at Bastogne. A quarter century later, having replaced Gen. William Westmoreland as MAC-V (Military Assistance Command-Vietnam) commander in Saigon, he supervised the process of preparing the South Vietnamese government to take over the war while American forces withdrew. Ex-near new, $6.95

9. “Flags of Our Fathers” by James Bradley. What happened to the Marine and Navy “flag-raiers” during and after the battle of Iwo Jima. Trade ppk, Ex. –near new, $4.50

10. “Flyboys” by James Bradley. The story of nine naval airmen shot down over the Pacific – one of them would become the president of the United States. Ex.-near new, $4.50

***Bundle Price – buy both for $7.50***

11. “The Goebbels Diaries” – SPF

12. “Goebbels” by Alan Wykes. SPF

13. “A Leader Born: The Life of John McCain, Pacific Carrier Commander” by Alton Gilbert. John S. 'Slew' McCain was an old-school sailor. Wiry, profane, a cusser and a gambler, he reminded more than one observer of 'Popeye.' He was also a pioneer in the hard-hitting naval tactics that brought Imperial Japan to its knees. New! $8.50

14. “Sea of Thunder: 4 Commanders in the Pacific of WWII” by Evan Thomas. Four officers: William Halsey, who commanded the U.S. 3rd Fleet; Adm. Takeo Kurita, his Japanese counterpart; Adm. Matome Ugaki, Kurita's senior subordinate and a "true believer" in Japan's destiny; and Cdr. Ernest Evans, captain of a lowly destroyer, the U.S.S. Johnston. VG-Ex., trade ppk, $5.25

***Bundle price for 13-14: $11.50 ***

15. “Slim: The Standard-Bearer” by Ronald Lewin. Without doubt, the most underappreciated commander of WWII and , in the opinions of many WWII historians, the best British general of WWII, he commanded the Burma Theater during much of the war. Biographies are hard to find! G-VG - $7.95

16. “Pacific Crucible, 1941-42” by Ian Toll. Ian W. Toll's dramatic narrative encompasses both the high command and the "sailor's-eye" view from the lower deck. Relying predominantly on eyewitness accounts and primary sources, Pacific Crucible also spotlights recent scholarship that has revised our understanding of the conflict, including the Japanese decision to provoke a war that few in the country's highest circles thought they could win. NEW! $8.95

17. “Top Guns: America’s Fighter Aces Tell Their Stories” by Joe Foss. Twenty-seven aviators here relate combat experiences. Starting with WW I and ending with Vietnam, Foss, himself a WW II hero and ex-governor of South Dakota, and Vietnam veteran Brennan (Headhunters ), base the book on personal interviews. Ex. – near new, $7.95

18. “Memoirs of the Second World War” by Winston Churchill. (G) A one-volume abridgement of Churchill’s massive 6-volume set of books. $6.95

19. “The Second World War” by Winston Churchill (PARTIAL set!). Three of Churchill’s seven volumes, including a. Their Finest Hour (G); b. The Grand Alliance; c. Triumph and Tragedy. Fair-VG condition - $4.95 ea. or all three for $12.00.

III. Nautical and Warship books

1. “The Great Age of Sail” by Joseph Jobe. (G) A large, oversized book on sailing ships including line drawings, full-color paintings and etchings, as well as photographs. VG-Ex. $15.00

2. “Discovery of the Bismarck” by Robert Ballard.(G) In 1989, Robert Ballard, Discoverer of the Titanic, located the legendary German warship Bismarck three miles below the Atlantic. This book includes some excellent photos paintings and drawings of the ship as she originally appeared and of the ship as she appears today. Ex. condition, oversized. $7.00

3. “The Dreadnoughts” by David Howarth. (G) Part of “The Seafarer’s series which details the rise of the modern, all-big gun battleship from “Dreadnought” until the end of WWI. Near New, $7.95

4. “Jane's Battleships of the Twentieth Century” (G) The revolutionary "HMS Dreadnought" was succeeded by even larger and more powerful warships that clashed spectacularly at the battle of Jutland in 1916. Plans for a new generation of 'super dreadnoughts' were delayed by international treaties, but Japanese ambitions eventually led to a new arms race with the U.S.. This naval race produced the world's largest and most heavily-armed battleships. VG-Ex. $8.95

5. “US Destroyers: A Design History” by Norman Friedman. (G) This book encompasses the design history of US destroyers. It provides unique details of the design and construction, and eventual combat operations of destroyers. It goes from the very first to today's highly advanced destroyers. It is not for the novice, but makes a valuable addition to a maritime history library. It is large and oversized, 450+ pages, with numerous photos, drawings, designs of “future” destroyers through 1982. A large section on destroyer design and uses during WWII. Hard to find in any condition for less than $50.00. VG-Ex. $29.95

6. “Battleships” by Anthony Preston. (G) – an oversized introductory history both of the design and uses of this most popular of warships, from the turn of the 20th Century to the 1980s. Numerous pictures and drawings. Ex.-near new, $8.00

7. “Battleships of the U.S. Navy in World War II by Stefan Terzibaschitsch. (G) This large-format volume with many pictures and line-drawings details virtually every U.S. battleship to see service during WWII. 200+ pages 148 photos and 115 drawings. Ex. condition, $10.00

8. “Escape from the Deep” by Alex Kershaw. (G). In the early morning hours of October 24, 1944, the legendary U.S. Navy submarine Tang was hit by one of its own faulty torpedoes. The survivors of the explosion struggled to stay alive one hundred-eighty feet beneath the surface, while the Japanese dropped deadly depth charges. As the air ran out, some of the crew made a daring ascent through the escape hatch. In the end, just nine of the original eighty-man crew survived. Their troubles were just beginning – they were picked up by the Japanese. Trade ppk. Ex. –near new, $7.00

9. “World Naval Aviation” by Paul Beaver. A country-by-country look at naval aviation with figures, photos and drawings. VG-Ex. $6.95

10. “A Glimpse of Hell: The Explosion on the USS Iowa and Its Cover-Up” by Charles Thompson (G) On April 19, 1989, Turret Two aboard the recommissioned battleship USS Iowa exploded, killing 47 men. In A Glimpse of Hell, former naval officer, newspaper reporter, and 60 Minutes producer Charles Thompson has written an authoritative exposé of the United States Navy high command's consistent efforts to manipulate the evidence of that disaster and slander deceased seaman Clayton Hartwig. VG, $6.50

TAXICAT
10-05-2015, 05:03
I will take Peter Chamberlain book.

Andouille
10-07-2015, 07:21
Email fixin' to be sent for:

“For Crew and Country: The Story of the Samuel B. Roberts” by John Wukovits (G). In this richly detailed book, John Wukovits provides unusual insight into the crew, the team--the family--of the USS Samuel B. Roberts. A thrilling story of self-sacrifice, of David versus many Goliaths, of a little war vessel with a paper-thin hull saluting, stepping up, and making a charge to death and glory. After I finished reading, I wanted to stand up and cheer. New new trade ppk. $7.95

“The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt” by Edmund Morris. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize … The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt is the story of seven men-a naturalist, a writer, a lover, a hunter, a ranchman, a soldier, and a politician-who merged at age forty-two to become the youngest President in history. Very readable! Trade ppk. Ex. to near new, $8.95.

The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-45” by John Toland. Toland was one of the leading military historians of the 1960s and 1970s. Using new documentation from both sides, he tries to tell what really happened. Two volumes, over a THOUSAND total pages. G-VG – 10.95.

Rick the Librarian
10-07-2015, 07:57
Email received, Andouille, and reply sent!

RtL