PDA

View Full Version : A 12ga load?

LARscout
10-15-2015, 06:38
For years I scoffed at the thought of owning or shooting a shotgun, thinking it to be beneath a marksman's devotion to accuracy to indulge in something so whimsical.
And yet here I am... I bought a Lee load-all press in 12ga.
I have primers and some Clays powder on hand to begin.
I was hoping to use these felt wads instead of the plastic ones. These seem a good deal cheaper.
The ones I used with the musket (.74-.75") are obviously too wide for the shotshell. So I was hoping to get some directive on the proper diameter of a wad to be used.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/193/1/WAD-12-C

Info on powder charges (using Clays) will also be appreciated.
(This will be a birdshot load)

Tuna
10-15-2015, 08:07
Since your starting out loading shotgun I would suggest that you get the correct wads for the type and make of shells your going to use. It's not hard to load shotgun but it can be a disaster if you do not use the correct combinations of wad, powder, primer and correct weight in shot. Better to hold off with the felt wads till you get some shot shell loading under your belt. You can find safe loading data on line too.

Emri
10-16-2015, 05:54
Since your starting out loading shotgun I would suggest that you get the correct wads for the type and make of shells your going to use. It's not hard to load shotgun but it can be a disaster if you do not use the correct combinations of wad, powder, primer and correct weight in shot. Better to hold off with the felt wads till you get some shot shell loading under your belt. You can find safe loading data on line too.

Pay attention to what Tuna stated !!! Shotshell chamber pressures are relatively low compared to rifle cartridges, but a very small deviation from a safe load can have dramatic results in the pressures produced. Get a good load book and use EXACTLY what is listed as far as hull/wad/primer/powder combinations go.

Stay safe,

Emri

Litt'le Lee
10-16-2015, 10:53
use a scale to verify your powder load-Lee tables are not accurate,usually low ball..there are 3 Clays powders,,you need the International for 12 ga
the info is on the container,,can't give you a load until the kind of Clays is noted

LARscout
10-16-2015, 05:25
Never mind, the information was on the bottle. 18-19grs charge of Hodgdon Clays with 1 1/8oz of shot.

Tuna
10-17-2015, 06:42
You do realize that those wads are made for muzzle loading with black powder right and not modern shotguns. You will have pressure increases with felt wads and any kind of choke. Do not use a wad with steel shot or you will damage the barrel. Good luck with your trials.

barretcreek
10-26-2015, 02:28
Shotshell loading is more art than science. If you look in a shotshell manual, Alliant has a nice gimme, you will see that the combination of shell, wad, primer, powder and shot material are all working together. Or against each other if you experiment in the wrong manner.