PDA

View Full Version : NM 03 tick mark

Phil McGrath
10-17-2015, 09:45
I've seen in a few posts that NM receiver had a tick mark on top of the right receiver rail, is this a NM only? I've always assumed it was just a hardness check when they inspected any receiver.

PhillipM
10-18-2015, 02:20
I've seen in a few posts that NM receiver had a tick mark on top of the right receiver rail, is this a NM only? I've always assumed it was just a hardness check when they inspected any receiver.

Cpl Norton has been researching this heavily as of late in his research of USMC sniper rifles made from NM's. He has found many of these marks on NM, USMC sniper (made from NM), and perhaps some other USMC rifles. Remove your handguard and look for pipe wrench looking jaw marks.

chuckindenver
10-18-2015, 06:40
iv seen it on NM, NRA sporter, USMC rifles as well as 1922s

Phil McGrath
10-18-2015, 10:22
Well, I can rule out any USMC connection however it did come with sights and hood from the gun store, and its for sure not a 1922 or NRA sales rifle. I have a mostly correct 03a1 and with all this talk about a tick mark in the middle of the top rail I am having doubts about its origins when first built. I have always assumed its just a inspection or hardness check for the receiver. Am I correct too say and I think so that NM 03's that were not sold as NM rifles stayed in the Army and were treated like any other 03 and when there barrels were worn out they were rebuilt the same as normal service rifles.

I'm just trying too narrow down the possibilities or what if's....... My rifle 1474895 isn't a direct hit, however I do have the tiny little tick mark on top/middle of the receiver rail. But my rifle is sporting a SA10-44 barrel. I was told a long time ago that 1474891 was a NM rifle.

louis
10-18-2015, 10:41
I've seen them on high numbered rifles and I had a conversation about them with a very knowledgable person. It seems to be a hardness mark only

Fred
10-18-2015, 11:58
I do know that it was SOP to take unsold National Match 1903's and use whatever components on them that were suitable for building the next years National Match rifles. I believe this was done with the 1919 NM 03's as well as the 1920 NM 03's too. What other National Match 1903's this was done with I don't know.

Fred

Phil McGrath
10-18-2015, 12:13
I've seen them on high numbered rifles and I had a conversation about them with a very knowledgable person. It seems to be a hardness mark only

This is my opinion as well, nothing special just part of the receivers inspection. But as of late some are thinking otherwise so I'm inclined too think its wishful thinking on there part.

louis
10-18-2015, 12:24
As what I know Springfield started the Rockeell hardness testing about 1930

John Beard
10-18-2015, 02:48

You assumed correctly.

J.B.

Phil McGrath
10-18-2015, 04:00
You assumed correctly.

J.B.

Thanks John.