PDA

View Full Version : WTS: RtL's Book Sale - BOOKS REDUCED!

Rick the Librarian
10-19-2015, 04:56
NOTE: This succeeds the ad posted previously

Remaining books CUT in price by an average of 25%!!

Gathered together are a large number of books on World War II as well as a few on other wars and topics. Take a look for “bundle” prices on multiple books for sale on one category.

A) Payment can be made by check or money order. I may have to hold checks until they clear unless you are known to me. Paypal can be used, but a 4% premium will be added to offset fees charged by Paypal unless you do it as a gift/family.

B) All prices do not include shipping. Shipping is done by USPS Media Mail, which I have found economical and secure. I will quote a shipping price, when you make an offer. Insurance is optional. Although I pack and ship very carefully, I can’t be responsible if you don’t insure large purchases.

C) Books vary in condition and I do my best to describe them properly. Books are hard-backed unless otherwise mentioned. Any questions will be gladly answered. I will also provide reasonable pictures of the books or their content if you want. Obviously, “I’ll take it” trumps over “Can you send me more information?” 

D) When you contact me about these books, please inquire by book title, not number. You can contact me through this forum or at –rrsbls@msn.com-- (remove dashes)

E) I do have these books listed on several forums. In case of two people wanting the same book, I go by the earliest “I’ll take it”, as judged by the date/time of the PM or email. I try to update frequently, but can only guarantee an update to reflect sales once a day.

I. “Rick’s Picks

1. “The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge” by David McCullough. The dramatic and enthralling story of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge, the world’s longest suspension bridge at the time, a tale of greed, corruption, and obstruction but also of optimism, heroism, and determination, told by master historian David McCullough. Excellent trade ppk. $7.95 REDUCED to $5.95

3. “Ship of Ghosts” by James Hornfischer. SPF

II. World War II – [NOTE: Due to the large numbers of books listed, descriptions will be limited. Please free to PM/Email for more information]

1. “The Longest Battle: The War at Sea, 1939-1945” by Richard Hough (G) A general history of WWII at sea, written by one of the most distinguished naval historians. Trade ppk. Near, new, $6.95 REDUCED to $5.20

4. “Days of Infamy” by John Costello. SPF

5. “The Last Escape: Allied Prisoners of War in Germany, 1944-45”. By John Nichol. SPF

6. “War Beneath the Waves” by Don Keith. SPF

7. “Masters and Commanders: The four Titans Who Won WWII” by Andrew Roberts. An outstanding example of a joint biography in this study of the actions and interactions of Franklin Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, George Marshall and Alan Brooke. The president, the prime minister and their respective army chiefs of staff were the vital nexus of the Anglo-American alliance in WWII. The path was anything but smooth. Near new, $7.50 REDUCED to 5.65

8. “Thunderbolt: Gen. Creighton Abrams and the Army of His Times” by Lewis Sorley. Abrams (1914-1974) made a name for himself during WW II's Battle of the Bulge when he led his tank battalion in relief of an encircled American division at Bastogne. A quarter century later, having replaced Gen. William Westmoreland as MAC-V (Military Assistance Command-Vietnam) commander in Saigon, he supervised the process of preparing the South Vietnamese government to take over the war while American forces withdrew. Ex-near new, $6.95 REDUCED to $5.20

9. “Flags of Our Fathers” by James Bradley. What happened to the Marine and Navy “flag-raiers” during and after the battle of Iwo Jima. Trade ppk, Ex. –near new, $4.50 REDUCED to $3.35

10. “Flyboys” by James Bradley. The story of nine naval airmen shot down over the Pacific – one of them would become the president of the United States. Ex.-near new, $4.50 REDUCED to $3.35

***Bundle Price – buy both for $7.50*** REDUCED to $5.65

11. “The Last Battle” by Cornelius Ryan. . Known more for his famous “The Longest Day, Ryan describes the last few months of the European Front in WWII, especially the battle of Berlin. (G) G-VG, $6.50 REDUCED to $4.85

13. “A Leader Born: The Life of John McCain, Pacific Carrier Commander” by Alton Gilbert. John S. 'Slew' McCain was an old-school sailor. Wiry, profane, a cusser and a gambler, he reminded more than one observer of 'Popeye.' He was also a pioneer in the hard-hitting naval tactics that brought Imperial Japan to its knees. New! $8.50 REDUCED to $6.35

14. “Sea of Thunder: 4 Commanders in the Pacific of WWII” by Evan Thomas. Four officers: William Halsey, who commanded the U.S. 3rd Fleet; Adm. Takeo Kurita, his Japanese counterpart; Adm. Matome Ugaki, Kurita's senior subordinate and a "true believer" in Japan's destiny; and Cdr. Ernest Evans, captain of a lowly destroyer, the U.S.S. Johnston. VG-Ex., trade ppk, $5.25 REDUCED to $3.95

***Bundle price for 13-14: $11.50 *** REDUCED to $8.60

15. “Slim: The Standard-Bearer” by Ronald Lewin. Without doubt, the most underappreciated commander of WWII and , in the opinions of many WWII historians, the best British general of WWII, he commanded the Burma Theater during much of the war. Biographies are hard to find! G-VG - $7.95 REDUCED to $5.95

16. “Pacific Crucible, 1941-42” by Ian Toll. Ian W. Toll's dramatic narrative encompasses both the high command and the "sailor's-eye" view from the lower deck. Relying predominantly on eyewitness accounts and primary sources, Pacific Crucible also spotlights recent scholarship that has revised our understanding of the conflict, including the Japanese decision to provoke a war that few in the country's highest circles thought they could win. NEW! $8.95 REDUCED to $6.70

17. “Top Guns: America’s Fighter Aces Tell Their Stories” by Joe Foss. Twenty-seven aviators here relate combat experiences. Starting with WW I and ending with Vietnam, Foss, himself a WW II hero and ex-governor of South Dakota, and Vietnam veteran Brennan (Headhunters ), base the book on personal interviews. Ex. – near new, $7.95 REDUCED to $5.95

18. “Memoirs of the Second World War” by Winston Churchill. (G) A one-volume abridgement of Churchill’s massive 6-volume set of books. $6.95 REDUCED to $5.20

19. “The Second World War” by Winston Churchill (PARTIAL set!). Three of Churchill’s seven volumes, including a. Their Finest Hour (G); b. The Grand Alliance; c. Triumph and Tragedy. Fair-VG condition - $4.95 ea. or all three for $12.00. REDUCED to $9.00

III. Nautical and Warship books

1. “The Great Age of Sail” by Joseph Jobe. (G) A large, oversized book on sailing ships including line drawings, full-color paintings and etchings, as well as photographs. VG-Ex. $15.00 REDUCED to $11.25

2. “Discovery of the Bismarck” by Robert Ballard.(G) In 1989, Robert Ballard, Discoverer of the Titanic, located the legendary German warship Bismarck three miles below the Atlantic. This book includes some excellent photos paintings and drawings of the ship as she originally appeared and of the ship as she appears today. Ex. condition, oversized. $7.00 REDUCED to $5.25

3. “The Dreadnoughts” by David Howarth. (G) Part of “The Seafarer’s series which details the rise of the modern, all-big gun battleship from “Dreadnought” until the end of WWI. Near New, $7.95 REDUCED to $5.95

4. “Jane's Battleships of the Twentieth Century” (G) SPF

5. “US Destroyers: A Design History” by Norman Friedman. (G) SPF

6. “Battleships” by Anthony Preston. (G) SPF

7. “Battleships of the U.S. Navy in World War II by Stefan Terzibaschitsch. (G) SPF

8. “Escape from the Deep” by Alex Kershaw. (G). SPF

9. “World Naval Aviation” by Paul Beaver. A country-by-country look at naval aviation with figures, photos and drawings. VG-Ex. $6.95 REDUCED to $5.20

M1Tommy
10-19-2015, 06:41
Rick, I would buy the books listed below. I have send an email your way to confirm and get total price to ship these to me.
Sincerely,
Tommy

“Ship of Ghosts” by James Hornfischer
“War Beneath the Waves” by Don Keith
“Escape from the Deep” by Alex Kershaw

P.S. edited to add, I sent payment your way.

Folks, Rick's books are good, and priced really well. I've bought many from him over the years and have never been less than pleased.
Tommy

Dienekes
10-27-2015, 12:30
Sir: I would like to buy your copy of "Slim" by Lewin, #13. I've been meaning to read it for years, but there are so many books and so little time, relatively speaking.

My zip is 82834 if that will help you calculate shipping.

Thanks.

M1Tommy
11-01-2015, 08:01
Rick, I received the books. All are in great condition (typical for RTL's book sales), better than described.
Thanks!
Tommy

Rick the Librarian
11-02-2015, 05:54
:1948: