PDA

View Full Version : Garands at the local Cabelas

GA-Dave
10-22-2015, 04:34
I was perusing the gun library in my local Cabelas. I looked at their Garands but all were rebuilt with a mix of parts. One nice SA 10-64 etched rebuild caught my eye, but at $1600 it was a bit pricey.

Another rifle had a late Winchester barrel on it. It appears to be dated 6-67. I didn't realize they made barrels so late.

The sales rep didn't know much about Garands and said they had not been selling well. I told him I wasn't so surprised since we're only two hours away from Anniston. I didn't mention their very high prices.

goo
10-22-2015, 05:07
imho, there's collectors and shooters.
i druther have a good shooting mix master than an expensive collectable that depreciates with use.

just sayin'

dryheat
10-22-2015, 06:51
Winchester got a contract to finish up the last of the garands in the sixties.

lyman
10-22-2015, 07:48
looks like an import mark on that Winchester barrel,

the barrels were a replacement contract, if memory serves,

psteinmayer
10-23-2015, 04:54
The thing about Cabelas is that most of the guns for sale in the "Library" are consignment, so Cabelas will mark up the asking price to make a little money on top of what the owner wants. That's why you'll see a Garand that's worth $1000 selling for $1600 or more. I've seen pretty rough Trapdoors marked at $1500 when I wouldn't pay a dime over $700. Also, some of these private sellers think they are selling the greatest deal ever, like the guy with a cutdown Krag that has a sewer pipe for a barrel trying to sell it like it was an 1898 Carbine in perfect condition! Sometimes, you strike gold... and most of the time, it's pyrite!

mbgarand
10-23-2015, 07:21
A few years ago Cabelas had 4 or 5 Garands. 3 had Rolled barrels and 4 of the 5 the receivers had been previously cut. I did not go through the rifles but did speak to a worker and he had no idea what was on their shelf. The barrels were so badly rolled I would be afraid to attempt to load & shoot a round- felt the rifle would blow up

dryheat
10-23-2015, 07:36
looks like an import mark on that Winchester barrel,

the barrels were a replacement contract, if memory serves,

A lot of those rifles were slated for our "allies". The 67 Wins that I have seen were pretty rough. What does "rolled" mean?

Sunray
10-23-2015, 10:12
A bit pricey is normal for stuff like that in Cabela's. Was in the Dundee store years ago, several way over priced M1's in poor condition. None of which were "in the Library".
"...sales rep didn't know much about Garands..." That's typical too. Don't imagine the guy gets more than minimum wage and no training at all.

mbgarand
10-23-2015, 12:28
A few years back someone from the East rolled the muzzle rather than re- crowning the muzzle. These Rifles ended up at Cabelas and at 1 gun shop. I asked where these rolled barrels came from and they were shipped in for sale from the NY area. When you insert the bullet to check the ME ( which you should always have when looking) the muzzle was so tight/smashed you could only inset the bullet Less than 1/8th on an inch in. The muzzle was rolled tighter to give you a better ME reading ( something like a minus reading). To me so dangerous and criminal to sell a rifle in such a state.

M1Garandy
10-23-2015, 01:05
Not having seen a rolled muzzle before, is it really obvious from the outside that it has been done? Anyone have a picture?

dryheat
10-23-2015, 01:23
That's pretty weird.

twh
10-23-2015, 06:01
What is a rolled barrel?

Devil Dog
10-27-2015, 08:21
Normally the term "rolled barrel" is when the shoulder (where it contacts the receiver) is pressed with roller while being turned on a lathe. It is done to move metal to the shoulder face in order to tighten up a loose index. I have never seen or heard of a "rolled" muzzle. Maybe someone can describe what it looks like. A pic would be great.

sdkrag
10-29-2015, 12:30
Cabela's in Mitchell, SD has 5 or 6 Garands on the rack as of this week. All but one are Winchesters and one Springfield. Springfield is marked $1200 and the Winchesters $1400 to $1500. Couldn't tell you more cause at that price I don't even spend time examining them.

can14
11-02-2015, 04:45
I have a mostly matching winchester with 67 winchester barrel that came out of thailand

jgaynor
11-04-2015, 09:35
Normally the term "rolled barrel" is when the shoulder (where it contacts the receiver) is pressed with roller while being turned on a lathe. It is done to move metal to the shoulder face in order to tighten up a loose index. I have never seen or heard of a "rolled" muzzle. Maybe someone can describe what it looks like. A pic would be great.

The technique described by Devil Dog is listed in the M1 maintenance manuals. Requires a special tool for use in a lathe. Apic of the so-called flattened or rolled muzzles is definitely in order.

LAH
11-12-2015, 10:28
I hit the jackpot and picked up a 100% correct 7.62 Standard Grade MK2 MOD1 AMF/SA barrel USMC Sec of Navy Award Garand one day from the Cabela's library store.

coastie
12-05-2015, 06:22
You dog, you.
Great presentation piece!
Not gonna ask the price!