PDA

View Full Version : does a flash supressor (no boyo lug) make my m-1a unlegal in ny?

goo
10-31-2015, 07:43
saw this and need to know.

thx,

goo

http://www.fulton-armory.com/fultonarmoryusriflecal762mmm14-1-1-1-1.aspx

Major Tom
10-31-2015, 12:00
Goo, you need to move to a gun friendly State. I live in Iowa and can own/shoot anything.

SMOKEY
10-31-2015, 02:50
From what I can find the suppressor makes it an assault weapon according to the liberal idiots in your fine state. Sorry bro.

Ned Butts
10-31-2015, 04:05
The one you linked to has no flash suppressor so it should be good to go. You can get "imitation" flash suppressors with the slots filled to give the look. I have a friend in the Albany area that has one that passed inspection.

da gimp
11-02-2015, 03:48
the flash suppressor he mention has no bayo lug & is solid & has no holes/slots running lengthwise on it...not even sure if you can keep the original GI type of this or the M1carbine bayo lug in the same house with the rifles... even if they are not mounted on the rifles... beware if someone offers you mags for either... same goes.

11-02-2015, 06:03
Suffolk County N.Y. was one of the most gun friendly areas in the NY metro area until the NYC and upstate liberals were able to impose there anti gun views and laws on us. One reason that I bailed out as soon as I retired. Until not long ago, Suffolk County was a great place to live. No more.

goo
11-02-2015, 06:17
i don't got the rifle in the link.i got a standard springfield m-1a with a flash suppressor but no bayo lug. is that legal in suffolk county?

also i got a m-1 carbine wih no bayo lug (i grount it off)... is that legal if it got a small mag?

thx, gents

Ned Butts
11-03-2015, 05:12
http://www.scopeny.org/safe_act/#aw

II. ASSAULT WEAPONS

1. Definition: The Safe Act redefined the term “Assault Weapon” and created registration requirements for those who lawfully owned them before the enactment of the statute.
As of January 15, 2013, the term “Assault Weapon” has been redefined as:2

• A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following military characteristics:

a. Folding or Telescoping Stock b. Protruding Pistol Grip
c. Thumbhole Stock
d. Second Handgrip or Protruding Grip that can be held by non-shooting hand e. Bayonet Mount
f. Flash Suppressor g. Muzzle Brake
h. Muzzle Compensator
i. A threaded barrel designed to accommodate the above j. Grenade Launcher

Modify the mag release to make it a fixed mag and you are good to go. load with chargers

Griff Murphey
11-03-2015, 05:35
[QUOTE=Ned Butts;435890]http://www.scopeny.org/safe_act/#aw

II. ASSAULT WEAPONS

1. Definition: The Safe Act redefined the term “Assault Weapon” and created registration requirements for those who lawfully owned them before the enactment of the statute.
As of January 15, 2013, the term “Assault Weapon” has been redefined as:2

• A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following military characteristics:

a. Folding or Telescoping Stock b. Protruding Pistol Grip
c. Thumbhole Stock
d. Second Handgrip or Protruding Grip that can be held by non-shooting hand e. Bayonet Mount
f. Flash Suppressor g. Muzzle Brake
h. Muzzle Compensator
i. A threaded barrel designed to accommodate the above j. Grenade Launcher

Modify the mag release to make it a fixed mag and you are good to go. load with chargers[/QUOTE)

The carbine has no provision for stripper clip loading except to the magazine when it is out of the gun. Each carbine stripper has a built in guide that fits the magazine, not the firearm.

Ned Butts
11-03-2015, 06:03
Sorry I was talking about the M1A

Griff Murphey
11-03-2015, 07:45
Beg your pardon.

Well if he has to disable or fake something on his M-1A, I think a dummy flash suppressor, tack welded or silver soldered if required, is a better solution than a welded on mag, especially if he ever wants to put a scope.

I sure am glad I live in Texas. Sometimes I think of my time at Camp Pendleton in '75-'76 and i think of how California was once part of a free country.

nf1e
11-04-2015, 02:54
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0177_zpsynssgo5s.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0177_zpsynssgo5s.jpg.html)

The last two I built recently are a little different. They should be legal everywhere. At least until more stupid laws go into effect.

Semper Fi
Art

Ned Butts
11-04-2015, 03:39
Beg your pardon.

Well if he has to disable or fake something on his M-1A, I think a dummy flash suppressor, tack welded or silver soldered if required, is a better solution than a welded on mag, especially if he ever wants to put a scope.

I sure am glad I live in Texas. Sometimes I think of my time at Camp Pendleton in '75-'76 and i think of how California was once part of a free country.
I do not disagree with you! I am just sharing options used by some here in "neverland"

Griff Murphey
11-04-2015, 08:02
Now obviously these are two of the new scope dedicated receivers- whose manufacture?
What glass is on the one in the back?
Whose cheek rest is that in the one in the foreground, and cost?
Thanks in advance!

nf1e
11-04-2015, 11:40
Bula Forge and Machine is the manufacturer of the receivers , bolts, barrels and trigger groups. These are XM21 Ser #3 and #4. The scope in the back is a Leupold VX-R patrol 1.25 -4. Cheek rest in front is by Tac-Pro in Canada and runs just under a hundred bucks with shipping.

Semper Fi
Art

nf1e
11-04-2015, 11:42
Bula Forge and Machine is the manufacturer of the receivers , bolts, barrels and trigger groups. These are XM21 Ser #3 and #4. The scope in the back is a Leupold VX-R patrol 1.25 -4. Cheek rest in front is by Tac-Pro in Canada and runs just under a hundred bucks with shipping.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0168_zpsl3mnikgl.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0168_zpsl3mnikgl.jpg.html)

Semper Fi
Art

Griff Murphey
11-04-2015, 07:17
Beautiful guns. IMO the GI fiberglass stocks are under-appreciated - fit my hand perfectly, very accurate especially bedded. No zero changes with humidity or long term lockup storage.

nf1e
11-05-2015, 02:49
Beautiful guns. IMO the GI fiberglass stocks are under-appreciated - fit my hand perfectly, very accurate especially bedded. No zero changes with humidity or long term lockup storage.

I have them on a half dozen of my recent scoped builds and they do a great job. I use mostly GI wood though. Something about what I used in the RVN Summer camp in the 60's.

Griff Murphey
11-07-2015, 09:15
I have them on a half dozen of my recent scoped builds and they do a great job. I use mostly GI wood though. Something about what I used in the RVN Summer camp in the 60's.

I would never attempt to compare Army ROTC summer camp to real warfare in Viet Nam other than to relate that they ran us through the Fort Sill Viet Nam Village after helicoptering us in. They gave us deliberately fuzzy rules of engagement about "Don't shoot the popular forces." I drew down on a cone hatted "VC" - all our instructors were Army VN vets. The guy spun around and emptied a full auto M-16 at me - blanks of course!

They showed us the Punji stakes, Malayan gates, toe poppers, bombs hung in trees.... I was sure I would be dead if I went there. So I was pretty shook up when I was ordered to RVN on the evacuation in 1975 as BLT 1-4's dental officer. We picked up 3500 people at Phan Rhang.Scared the crap out of me. Anyway glad I had the experience.... Never got out of the boat!

My hat is off to you who actually did it!

nf1e
11-07-2015, 10:03
Only one tour for me. I had a very nice re-enlistment bonus for my field and was ready for another few years, but a friend in admin let me know that along with a promotion and bonus I was headed back to RVN after my signature. A quick chat with the wife and a long look in the mirror made the decision that civilian life was in the cards for me.