PDA

View Full Version : M1901 rear sight, how do you disassemble it?

Hal O'Peridol
11-02-2015, 11:23
Specifically removing the binding lever from the base.

Thanks.

Dick Hosmer
11-03-2015, 06:51
That part was never really meant to be casually removed. The screw has to be oriented just right so that the lever binds tight within the correct arc. The screw head was ground in place after alignment/assembly (thus it cannot come loose while mounted on a barrel) but not leaving much of a slot in some cases. It can be done, but not easily. Use a scratch awl (underneath) to mark the correct head alignment before attempting replacement.

Hal O'Peridol
11-04-2015, 08:05
That part was never really meant to be casually removed. The screw has to be oriented just right so that the lever binds tight within the correct arc. The screw head was ground in place after alignment/assembly (thus it cannot come loose while mounted on a barrel) but not leaving much of a slot in some cases. It can be done, but not easily. Use a scratch awl (underneath) to mark the correct head alignment before attempting replacement.

Hi Dick. Took me a minute to wrap my head around your post. I kept looking for a ground slot on the TOP of the post. The aha! moment came when I realized that you were talking about the bottom of the base!

I appreciate your help and the other posters help guiding me on my "Krag journey" as it unfolds.

Fred
11-04-2015, 08:31
They're a mother to get back on.