PDA

View Full Version : US Modei 1928 International Match Hammerli

Mulligun
11-05-2015, 05:55
I am looking for a copy of a picture Hammerli published about 14 years ago showing 25 Model 1928 Hammerli International Match Rifles they were shipping to Springfield Armory. If you could e mail me a copy it would be appreciated. mail to Mulligun@aol.com

John Beard
11-05-2015, 08:05
Forgive me for asking, but do you have one of the rifles? I don't have the picture you seek.

J.B.

Mulligun
11-06-2015, 07:35
I have Rifle # 499 with extra Butt plate and a .22 cal barrel

John Beard
11-06-2015, 08:33
According to records found at the National Archives in the Chief of Ordnance files, the 1928 Martini IM rifles were shipped to Frankford Arsenal, not Springfield Armory. The rifles were dispatched in two separate shipments and, according to my notes, the serial numbers are buried somewhere are in my files. My notes mention several specific serial numbers and your rifle does not appear to be one of them. The rifles were in .30-'06 caliber.

J.B.

Mulligun
11-06-2015, 10:34
According to records found at the National Archives in the Chief of Ordnance files, the 1928 Martini IM rifles were shipped to Frankford Arsenal, not Springfield Armory. The rifles were dispatched in two separate shipments and, according to my notes, the serial numbers are buried somewhere are in my files. My notes mention several specific serial numbers and your rifle does not appear to be one of them. The rifles were in .30-'06 caliber.

J.B.
My rifle belonged to BG Sydney Hinds who won Gold in the 1924 Olympics

John Beard
11-06-2015, 12:02
My notes said I copied the serial numbers. But I looked and I apparently don't have them. The document that supposedly contained the serial numbers merely stated that 546 rifles were shipped.

J.B.

Mulligun
11-07-2015, 06:49
My notes said I copied the serial numbers. But I looked and I apparently don't have them. The document that supposedly contained the serial numbers merely stated that 546 rifles were shipped.

J.B.
There were only 25 Model shipped.Your notes are incorrect. All rifles were in the 400 range.

Fast996
11-07-2015, 08:17
Here is an image found on the net Rock Island auction on serial #459 .Hope this helps,not sure if this is what you wanted.They have a description of this rifle group and a production estimate.

Mulligun
11-09-2015, 09:54
Springfield Armory Annual Report for the Fiscal year 1928 shows 24 Rifles International Match Martini Actions page 241 The Springfiedls Armory by Brophy

John Beard
11-09-2015, 07:48
I took a few minutes and sifted through my documents.

A document dated 16 Nov 1927 from the Chief of Ordnance to the Quartermaster, USMC, advises that ten Martini Actions and ten Martini rifle barrels were being purchased for the USMC, "together with similar supplies for the Army."

Unless a grievous typographical error was made, a cablegram dated 23 Feb 1928 from London to the Adjutant General in response to an inquiry from the Chief of Ordnance states that 546 rifles were leaving Lenzburg on 25 Feb 1928. I now realize that this should not be interpreted to mean that all 546 rifles were going to the Ordnance Dept., but could be going to different places in the world.

An International Shooting Team report dated 16 Oct 1928 states that 24 Martini rifles fitted with Springfield barrels were at Quantico. The report advises that the 24 rifles were barreled at Springfield in two separate batches of 10 and 14, respectively. The report goes on to state that the second batch of 14 were drawn from a quantity of "30 Martini actions with stocks also purchased in addition to the rifles complete." Doing the math, at least 40 Martini actions with stocks were purchased along with an unspecified quantity of "rifles complete."

A document dated 6 December 1929 from the Chief of Ordnance to Springfield Armory contained instructions for overhauling 39 Martini rifles. The order was subsequently cancelled.

Several rifles are mentioned by serial number, and these include S/N 425, S/N 436, S/N 437, and S/N 453.

In summary, the 24 rifles mentioned in the Springfield Armory Annual Report refer only to those that were fitted with new barrels at Springfield. But clearly, more rifles existed. And as a matter of note, the aforementioned shooting team report advises that 19 of the 24 Springfield-barreled rifles were taken abroad to provide 2 rifles for each of the 9 shooting team members.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Mulligun
11-10-2015, 03:48
Thanks for those serial numbers