PDA

View Full Version : Reloading .223 Question

leecork
11-15-2015, 07:47
I hope to reload a large quantity of .223 today. I intend to use Winchester small rifle primers, Varget powder and 62 grain Armscor FMJ bullets. My question is what would be a proper powder charge (grains) for a midrange charge. My two reference sources seem to disagree on the charge. My Lee reloading book says that 25.0 grains would be right on. My Hodgen's reference is about one grain less. In your opinion what would be a correct charge ? Would the 25.0 grain charger be safe ? Thanks

Sunray
11-15-2015, 09:32
Lee uses Hodgdon data. Manuals do vary over time. The reflect the conditions, including the firearm/universal receiver used, on the day of the test.
Your manual is elderly. The 25.0 grains is over the current max for a 62 grain bullet using Varget. Max is 24.1.
In any case, you need to work up the load from the starting load(22.1), not just pick one and hope. Makes no difference who made the bullet either. Only the weight and cast or jacketed matters.

joem
11-15-2015, 12:58
Generally I find that my most accurate loads with any given powder and bullet, fall between 92% and 98% of the max load. Buy a new Lyman reloading book but save your old ones.

leecork
11-15-2015, 01:29
Thanks for the info, guys. Appreciate your help.

joem
11-16-2015, 07:52
"Makes no difference who made the bullet either. Only the weight and cast or jacketed matters. "

I beg to differ on that comment. I have one AR that shoots < 1" groups with Nosler 69 gr bullets. Other manufactures and the group opens up to 1" to 1 1/4'. Same case, same primers and same batch of powder and same charge. Other AR's need different bullets. I keep a log of which AR needs a specific bullet and charge. PIA

gpw_42
11-17-2015, 03:36
"Makes no difference who made the bullet either. Only the weight and cast or jacketed matters. "

I beg to differ on that comment. I have one AR that shoots < 1" groups with Nosler 69 gr bullets. PIA

As I read Sunray's comment (about MFR of bullet not mattering), he was addressing the safety aspect of powder charge for a given bullet weight. Your accuracy variability with bullets of the same weight is what makes loading for accuracy an exasperatingly fun process...which is, I think, your PIA reference.

Steve

joem
11-17-2015, 06:23
That was what I ment about being a PIA. Sometimes it's fun, other times it makes you want to wrap the barrel around a length of pipe or telephone post.