PDA

View Full Version : What a shame

ElWoodman
11-16-2015, 08:13
Saw an 09 with a nice 11-10 SA barrel, in a nice JFC cartouched S stock. Some (I'm searching for a word that's printable) BUBBA had ground off the "U.S.", and all the maker & serial data....and wanted $900 for it. I passed, but would the parts have been worth any where near that?

louis
11-17-2015, 02:10
Removing the serial number from the receiver is illegal and would make the receiver worthless and I believe illegal to sell. Although removing the receiver from the sale the remaining parts are sellable, the value depends on the condition of the parts remaining. And what you are willing to pay for them. A little research on them on the Internet comparison value will give you what you seek.

Rick the Librarian
11-17-2015, 05:13
I agree - a rifle without a serial number (or any other firearm, for that matter) is bad news!

bruce
11-17-2015, 05:25
Sad. Walk away and try to forget it. Once upon a time such rifles were found in barrels at surplus stores, they were sold for hardly more than a pittance. People did to them what they later did to M-91's, SKS's, etc. Now we all know better. Sincerely. bruce.

joem
11-17-2015, 07:23
I was at a auction and observed a 1903 with stuff globed over the maker and S/N. Could have been weld or epoxy. I didn't bid.