PDA

View Full Version : New to me low SN M1903 w/out cartouche w/sling; info & SRS check please.

artyldr01
11-17-2015, 07:02
Good evening,

I finally acquired an M1903. It is a great rifle for me. There are some curiosities. It is a low (pre-double heat treat) Springfield (743865) with straight bolt marked I8 with a single peen under the handle. The barrel is an RIA 2-19 barrel, P marked bottom side between sight and upper band, ordnance flaming bomb over 12 on left side of the sight. Also a C123 on top of the barrel under the handguard. Stock is marked on the bottom with a script P in circle proof, letter L between proof and trigger guard, 3K in front of the magazine well, U in the magazine cutoff well of the stock and a C behind that but there is no inspector cartouche at all. The bore is slightly pitted but not bad at all. Also has a fair condition original G& K 1918 marked sling. Considering I rarely shoot my collector pieces I am very pleased with this beauty! Just need a bayonet then on to the M14/M1A, Krag... :)

I'll add more photos as I can. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Herschel
11-17-2015, 08:56
No hit on SRS.

John Beard
11-17-2015, 09:12
Your rifle's stock does indeed have an inspector's cartouche. And it's a "C". Your rifle's stock appears to be a Rock Island stock from 1917. And "C" is the last initial of the inspector.

Hope this helps. Congratulations! And thanks for sharing!

J.B.

artyldr01
11-18-2015, 04:45
Thank you very much, the information does help. I hadn't found anything on the single letter Inspectors mark, makes sense with the RIA barrel too. Thank you Hershel for the SRS check.