PDA

View Full Version : Modified serial number

louis
11-18-2015, 11:23
Just curious if any military or rebuild ever changed a serial number or modified a serial number?

Sunray
11-18-2015, 11:50
No military would. No reason for doing so when rebuilding either.

emmagee1917
11-18-2015, 12:20
I have heard that some did . Only when the original number was defaced / destroyed before reaching the rebuild facility . Rare to be done . There will be those that are in the know along shortly .
Chris

louis
11-18-2015, 12:28
Chris the reason why I ask is I've heard the same as you. I was wondering if it's true and had anyone seen an example. I've seen it on the 1903 forum a number of times.

twh
11-18-2015, 04:38
There are examples of letters added to serial numbers to differentiate between weapons with duplicate serial numbers usually an X or sometimes an A. There was a set of serial numbers assigned to replace defaced or removed serial numbers on 1911/1911A1 pistols when rebuilt but not for m-1 rifles that I have heard.

louis
11-18-2015, 05:18
Yes I know about the X or A. Wish I had one in my collection. But a changed or modified serial number I've seen it in 03's. Just wondered if it ever happened with the M1. I would suspect if it did it would be more than likely on a WRA as at times they were very lightly striked and if damaged or worn the number may have been not readable

dryheat
11-18-2015, 05:51
There are examples of rifles(IHC?) that had 3's turned into 8's for some reason.

Embalmer
11-19-2015, 02:14
I had a Inc receiver years ago that had a 3 restamped as a 8. Bought from orion years ago. Wish still had it

dave
11-19-2015, 05:18
I own a SA M1 that has the A added, there is a Win. with same number according to charts. I understand this was done by CMP (where mine came from) not the military.
As for "no military would", it is done on a routine basis in European militaries, on rebuilds or changing parts. They usually have serials on many parts or at least main parts such as stocks, barrel, bolt. When these are changed out, the old number is lined out or stippled over and matched number added. The Germans were particularly anal about this! They did not have interchangeable parts done to a science like the US or it was a habit they never dropped.

mack
11-19-2015, 06:56
The most commonly re-serialized firearms I see regularly are British Enfields. Not unusual for a rebuilt LE to have its numbers re-worked at rebuild. The rifles were assigned to particular units and the serial was only significant within that unit.

Americans did not re-serialize unless there were known duplicates or some damage. Keep in mind, rifles were regularly scrapped for damage. Unfortunately, some of these were resurrected. Keep in mind that no serial requirement existed before the early sixties, so new serials were seen on rifles if they were welded-up scrap receivers (commonly called, incorrectly, "re-welds"). I have one such rifle in my collection of weird M1 Frankensteins. Not common, but not unheard of.

11-21-2015, 06:20
There are examples of rifles(IHC?) that had 3's turned into 8's for some reason.

There is an interesting article by Dave McClain regarding these overstrikes in the Summer 2010 GCA Journal. Dave states that "it is very improbable that these rifles were overstruck by IHC for several logical reasons". The article goes on to explain the " logical reasons" and also mentions the "persistent rumors that ascribe this to a western US dealer who wanted to conceal their origin".

louis
11-22-2015, 02:39
Would or could you please tell the logical reasons? I've seen over strikes and added serial number in 1903's. That's the reason I've asked on this forum.

Rick B
11-22-2015, 03:06
Bought this straight from the CMP with papers. Have seen a few with renumbering. Rick B

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/8237/lSUOep.jpg

Rick B
11-22-2015, 03:14
This was on CMP auction also. If you look hard enough you can see it was ground down and restamped with new number. Rick B
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=3099&n=Springfield-Armory-Barreled-Receiver-1601

http://imageshack.com/a/img633/7248/LqB2EA.jpg

louis
11-22-2015, 04:20
Rick. Very interesting. I was suspecting this. I can't tell very well by the photo but the Winchester looks like it's start with a 3? And is missing the trademark ? The Springfield is really a different number also. Just recently there was a 03 with a 1 added and a over stamped number also. But I've seen a few others.

Dan Shapiro
11-23-2015, 03:23
Wonder how much of this can be explained by the fact that supposedly self-indexing machines and TIRED workers are involved.

louis
11-23-2015, 04:44
Maybe but take a look at the Winchester it's missing nomenclature and trademark also it seems to start with a 3 and the second numeral looks overstamped and maybe most of it was sanded off? Not sure.

MLD
11-25-2015, 01:34
The first two digits look higher than the middle two, and the two numbers on the right look lower than the middle numbers.I'm not sure you could draw a straight line under any of them.It could just be the photo makes them look out of line.It sure is an odd stamping none the less.