PDA

View Full Version : How much does an SRS letter impact value?

artyldr01
11-19-2015, 07:40
Good evening,

I am still learning about the Krag so isn't as versed as I am with other weapons but I know value is a very fluid thing. Assuming all else being equal how much does an SRS letter, identifying a rifle to a unit that saw occupation duty, impact the value? I am looking at an 1898 manufactured rifle, with said letter, in the $1800 range. Is that in the realm of fair to a good deal?

Thank you in advance.

psteinmayer
11-20-2015, 05:05
Depends on many things. If the rifle in question has a sewer pipe for a barrel, and is beat up... or if it has mis-matched parts, then I'd say no. Of course I am far from the expert here, and others more well versed than I can give you a better answer. However, if you could post pictures that detail things like the rear sight and hand guard, receiver with the markings, cartouche, and overall condition of the stock, then people here could give you a much better assessment.

Kragrifle
11-20-2015, 05:29
Depends on how much information is available. If it can be linked to a specific soldier, it then becomes who that soldier was and what he did. A Krag carbine that went up Kettle Hill is beyond my checkbook, but one that was merely in Cuba might be. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

dave
11-20-2015, 06:15
I have a letter for a 96 Carbine. Was with 1st. Cav., 1899, Co. H. They left for Philippines month or so later. Cost 100 for letter, D. Hosmer told me it would add about 200 to value, this was some years back. I now have copies of 1st. Cav. history in Philippines to go with it. I think it compliments the Carbine and at least would make it easier to sell.

Dick Hosmer
11-20-2015, 08:00
Good evening,

I am still learning about the Krag so isn't as versed as I am with other weapons but I know value is a very fluid thing. Assuming all else being equal how much does an SRS letter, identifying a rifle to a unit that saw occupation duty, impact the value? I am looking at an 1898 manufactured rifle, with said letter, in the $1800 range. Is that in the realm of fair to a good deal?

Thank you in advance.

That had better be a very nice rifle, and the letter had better say something more than "it was in the armory of the 45th Infantry in Podunk, Kansas", for it to be a good deal. Since the 'lettered' aspect of any arm deals almost exclusively with the history of the given item, I do not see that the bore condition is in any way relevant. For example, even if a piece was noted as being used by one of the international shooting teams, the emphasis is still on history - the bore could be toast, but the gun was still "there". If you want a great shooter, then make your choice strictly on condition lines, with particular attention to a minty bore with no appreciable muzzle wear.

Dick Hosmer
11-20-2015, 08:05
I have a letter for a 96 Carbine. Was with 1st. Cav., 1899, Co. H. They left for Philippines month or so later. Cost 100 for letter, D. Hosmer told me it would add about 200 to value, this was some years back. I now have copies of 1st. Cav. history in Philippines to go with it. I think it compliments the Carbine and at least would make it easier to sell.

I do not recall giving that particular advice - due both to CRS, and the fact that I answer a lot of questions! :-)

That said, much would depend on the model of gun involved AND the content of the letter. Most people will be pleased with knowing something about their toy - the difference is one of degree. The SRS letters used to be less expensive than they are now, but, in general, I'd still think one would always recover the cost thereof - if not more - at sale.

dave
11-20-2015, 05:25
I did not expect you to remember Dick and I should have said you gave that advise before I had the letter and you did say maybe (or at least?) 200 depending on what the letter said. So I did recover cost and maybe then some! And with added history of Co.H, 1st. Cav. I think you were correct.

Kragrifle
11-20-2015, 08:52
I like it already !

artyldr01
11-21-2015, 07:42
I apologize for the delay in responding I am on field training with my ROTC cadets this weekend. It is an 1898 rifle the bore is ok not stellar, it is lettered to a unit that served on occupation duty in Cuba but no combat duty. It has some patina to it but good 1898 cartouche. I'll see if I can post photos soon. I guess I am struggling a bit because I see price ranging significantly on GB etc. I know carbines generally command more than rifles, and a weapin with provenance to a person or a battle are highly sought after. This is a rifle linked to the 4th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, which was mustered generally near where I am originally from but beyond that I have no further details. As I said I will try and post photos as soon as possible. I truly appreciate the input, I hope it isn't one of those oft repeated questions by a newbie.

Dick Hosmer
11-21-2015, 10:05
No problem whatsoever - but $1800 is serious money these days for an 1898 rifle, which is, by far, the most frequently encountered Krag configuration.

Mark Daiute
11-22-2015, 06:28
I apologize for the delay in responding I am on field training with my ROTC cadets this weekend. It is an 1898 rifle the bore is ok not stellar, it is lettered to a unit that served on occupation duty in Cuba but no combat duty. It has some patina to it but good 1898 cartouche. I'll see if I can post photos soon. I guess I am struggling a bit because I see price ranging significantly on GB etc. I know carbines generally command more than rifles, and a weapin with provenance to a person or a battle are highly sought after. This is a rifle linked to the 4th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, which was mustered generally near where I am originally from but beyond that I have no further details. As I said I will try and post photos as soon as possible. I truly appreciate the input, I hope it isn't one of those oft repeated questions by a newbie.

Watch GB over time. You will come see that there are prices where weapons actually sell and then there are the absurd prices. In the last 10 years or so I can recall only a hand full of Krags that broke the 1k barrier. Lately Krags have been struggling to break the 700 barrer.

I apologize in advance if you were already aware of this.

artyldr01
11-22-2015, 01:07
Thank you all for the input. Krags seem to be a bit complicated so I think education and tactical patience are in order but here are some photos just in case you see something relatively interesting! More to follow.

Thanks!

artyldr01
11-22-2015, 01:12
Next batch! Thank you again.

Dick Hosmer
11-22-2015, 09:48
It's really a very nice rifle - but, on today's market, I don't see $1800, even with the historical data. But, that's just one person's opinion. The rear sight has been changed, and I suspect the handguard is not original to the gun, due to the color/gloss difference. The small pictures do not allow an accurate assessment of whether it is original or not.

artyldr01
11-23-2015, 04:21
Thank you. I have decided that there are better out there for my interests. I also prefer weapons linked to artillery units and believe a carbine may be more appropriate though the director of the artillery museum also says pistols were primary for artillery in the Span-Am era.

70ish
11-25-2015, 09:19
As I recall, even in the Civil War, pistols were the most common carried weapon for artillerymen. They were only concerned about firepower when the enemy was within 15 feet rather than 100 yards. But even more important, a pistol was necessary to "put down" a wounded or struggling horse when they needed control to switch a harness for a replacement. Such was the case for the Field Artillery even through the First World War when horses were the prime movers of the field pieces. Long arms were just awkward to use with everything else that was going on.

When I say "recall", I mean reading not doing.

artyldr01
11-29-2015, 09:24
Thank You, I believe you are correct. It is a interesting study because even back to the revolutionary era there are nations that armed their artillerists with a long arm of some sort but as for the U.S., I believe a sidearm is correct. Though I am sure some may have acquired a rifle/carbine at some point I hope to understand and collect what is "correct" not the anomaly.

As I recall, even in the Civil War, pistols were the most common carried weapon for artillerymen. They were only concerned about firepower when the enemy was within 15 feet rather than 100 yards. But even more important, a pistol was necessary to "put down" a wounded or struggling horse when they needed control to switch a harness for a replacement. Such was the case for the Field Artillery even through the First World War when horses were the prime movers of the field pieces. Long arms were just awkward to use with everything else that was going on.

When I say "recall", I mean reading not doing.