PDA

View Full Version : Thread size for M1D scope block

witsgarand
11-22-2015, 07:07
While doing an inventory of my friends estate, I found an M1D that I remember my buddy bought. We were so excited when he got it until we tried to mount the scope. The first series of threads were stripped out and the scope wouldn't stay securely mounted. Now that I'm selling his collection for the family, I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem. I remember posting something about this problem 10 years ago and never got a good answer beside buying a new block. If new ideas or techniques are out there, please respond.

Griff Murphey
11-25-2015, 04:50
Is it the block on the barrel or the mount itself that is stripped? Likely both....

My lottery D came with a G.I. Mount that stripped. I was tightening it with pliers padded with a washcloth, and I did not think I was honking it that hard. No Charles Atlas here. In discussions about this I was told that this was a common QC problem when extra mounts were run up to build more D's in the early days of Vietnam. The general concencus is that this is a factory built assembly, replacement parts are unavailable and even if you had them you would not have the tools to disasemble and properly reassemble it. If you could get it apart you could build a new screw but it would be a cob job. So the value of your mount and mine is pretty much zero. I tried selling mine for $50 on the WTS board and got no takers.

The mounting block in my rifle was taken in hand by National Match Armory and they retapped it. I bought a new Gi scope mount from them and that has proven satisfactory.

Bill E
11-25-2015, 05:10
If it's the mount on the barrel you might look into a helicoil (spelling?) repair. Not sure if the mount is hardened or not though.

Griff Murphey
11-27-2015, 06:53
The problem with these bad mounts was soft undersized mounting screws. National Match Armory said my threads in the barrel block were not too badly dinged and they straightened them with careful use of a tap, as it was described to me.