PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sight base question

MMSIBOB
11-28-2015, 07:21
I just found this site and before I ask a question I just wanted to say hello. I'm considering buying a RIA 03 and while I was looking at the photos the current owner sent something just didn't look right. It took me a while but I found out what the problem was. The rear sight base doesn't have the grooves milled into the sides. The serial # dates it to 1919. From what I read the smooth sight base is a new type. Is this correct? If so does it de-value the rifle at all? I'm new to 03's and just want to know all I can before I buy one.
Thanks,
Bob

Herschel
11-28-2015, 07:47
The rear sight base is much newer than the rifle. Most likely it was done at rebuild.

Cosine26
11-28-2015, 08:34
Rifle was probably re-barreled with a late model WWII M1903 barrel. What is the barrel manufacturer/date?

twh
11-28-2015, 09:10
Sure sign of a WW II rebuild and yes it does decrease the value of the rifle.

John Beard
11-28-2015, 09:29
I just found this site and before I ask a question I just wanted to say hello. I'm considering buying a RIA 03 and while I was looking at the photos the current owner sent something just didn't look right. It took me a while but I found out what the problem was. The rear sight base doesn't have the grooves milled into the sides. The serial # dates it to 1919. From what I read the smooth sight base is a new type. Is this correct? If so does it de-value the rifle at all? I'm new to 03's and just want to know all I can before I buy one.
Thanks,
Bob

The rear sight base is not likely the prevailing issue. The prevailing issue is who made the barrel and when. The markings behind the front sight identify the barrel manufacturer and date.

Most barrels manufactured during WWII do not have the lightening cuts (grooves) on the rear sight base. If the rifle is fitted with a WWII barrel, then the rear sight base is correct. A devaluation results from your rifle having been re-barreled, not from having an incorrect sight base.

Hope this helps.

J.B.