PDA

View Full Version : Handguard Band Tool

Marty T.
11-30-2015, 07:00
Anybody have the tool used to remove the rear handguard band on M1 rifle that would care to let me borrow it to do one band, or know where I could find one cheap 'cause, I just need to remove and replace one band. Would prefer to borrow but will buy if I have to. Or if there is a way that anyone knows to do that w/o the tool, that would be great too. Any help greatly appreciated.
Marty

tmark
11-30-2015, 07:23
I used a sturdy ice pic. Insert pointed end of ice pic into band hole, lift edge of band out of the barrel groove and slide it over the barrel until it is free. I do same thing to remove band from the handguard.

Marty T.
11-30-2015, 07:40
I'm assuming this is done with the handguard on the barrel, using the slot in the barrel to anchor the other end of the band, correct? Thanks

Major Tom
12-01-2015, 04:57
I think the hand guard would be removed. Another way: using a metal coat hanger, make a 'U' on a piece of coat hanger that is about 6" long, put that piece in a vice and put the 'U' thru one hole of the band. Using another piece of coat hanger also with a 'U' put that 'U' in the other band hole. Now pull gently until band comes free and catch hand guard with other hand.

Stephan
12-01-2015, 06:42
Huh?...I just strip all the parts off the front of the musket and slide the rear handguard off the front too...no muss no fuss..no damaged wood..only tool needed is for the gas-screw

joem
12-01-2015, 07:18
I use a small punch and a screw driver. Punch goes in the hole, screw driver against the punch anchored in the slot. A bit of a twist on screw driver and pop the band loose.

Sunray
12-01-2015, 09:50
A 1/8" punch works well. Pry up one side and gently lift over the wood.
"...a metal coat hanger..." Hen's teeth and too soft.

tmark
12-01-2015, 07:31
I'm assuming this is done with the handguard on the barrel, using the slot in the barrel to anchor the other end of the band, correct? Thanks

Yes

Marty T.
12-01-2015, 08:13
got it changed. Barely chipped a little piece just as going over the edge. Handguard is chipped and cracked anyway, so just put a little Gorilla glue to it and it will work just fine. Going on a rifle that is "well used" so just another ding is ok. Thanks for the help all. Learned something new this week.

Major Tom
12-02-2015, 04:47
Huh?...I just strip all the parts off the front of the musket and slide the rear handguard off the front too...no muss no fuss..no damaged wood..only tool needed is for the gas-screw

Well, he wanted to remove the metal clip attached to the hand guard.

Stephan
12-02-2015, 05:06
Well, he wanted to remove the metal clip attached to the hand guard.

Oh...I re-ground the ends on a medium/large pair of snap-ring pliers for that.

PaFrank
12-02-2015, 01:55
I got the tool for that... it ain't all that easy to use and takes some practice and a few cracked handguards!.. for only one, try any of the methods described above.. you'll do better

dryheat
12-02-2015, 10:35
There ya go. But to get the band off of the wood, I run a little wire(smaller than a coat hanger) though the (not)oprod side and secure it in the Vise. Grab the wood on either side of the band and pull towards yourself, rotate the wood down and Voila! the band comes free.

JimF
12-03-2015, 05:50
. . . . . to get the band off of the wood, I run a little wire(smaller than a coat hanger) though the (not)oprod side and secure it in the Vise. Grab the wood on either side of the band and pull towards yourself, rotate the wood down and Voila! the band comes free.

Yup . . . this . . . .

Been doing it this way for years . . . no problem! (Unless one is a complete DOLT!) --Jim

meterman
01-06-2016, 12:32
Yup . . . this . . . .

Been doing it this way for years . . . no problem! (Unless one is a complete DOLT!) --Jim

The dolts around here just use a piece of picture frame wire. Works well.

01-08-2016, 04:01
I bought the tool for 19 about 10 years ago & used it 3-400 times & never cracked a handguard! I see the handguards selling for 40+? Do the math!

Oyaji
01-08-2016, 07:41
Buy the frickin' tool ferchrisakes. It's not that expensive and you won't be damaging any handguards.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/handguard-tools/m1-m14-m1a-handguard-clip-pliers-prod1385.aspx