PDA

View Full Version : Question on a newly acquired 1911

Comp 307
12-02-2015, 11:19
I'm new to the forum but was hoping for a little advice. My father recently passed and he left me his 1911 pistol. He served in the USMC in WWII, was severely injured and preferred not to talk about his experiences. He deeply loved serving, but was left with many painful memories. I've done a little research, but was looking for guidance to better determine if this may have been his service pistol or one he acquired later in life. Obviously, I know his dates of service and the pistol's serial number is C1518xx. Could anyone provide insight on how to gain additional information? Thanks for your time.

Shooter5
12-02-2015, 12:51
With a "C" prefix that sounds like a commercial acquisition rather than USGI issue. Some commercial models were acquired by the US Mil in WW2 but their serial numbers were altered - experts can weigh in more on that story. It is possible he could have carried a personally owned pistol in the war. You can get a Colt factory letter which may tell you who/when/where it was first sold. Ask family members if they have any information about its history.
Good luck. Try Poyer's book for info:

http://www.amazon.com/Model-1911A1-Military-Commercial-Pistols/dp/1882391462

Chris W.
12-02-2015, 12:56
The " C " in front of the SN is for commercial production model. Made in about 1927. Be a good one to request a letter from Colt on.
Chris