PDA

View Full Version : Good range brass

Major Tom
12-09-2015, 05:21
I have picked range brass for years. Some I keep for my guns, others I throw in a bucket and sell to the scrap yard. Like anything else you pick up you have to closely examine it for defects. Works good for me as I save money and make money too.

joem
12-10-2015, 11:00
I pick up some brass at the club. Some of the brass I picked up looked good visually but was crap when fired.

psteinmayer
12-11-2015, 04:37
I've received brass at ranges from shooters who didn't save. If I see them shooting .38, 357, .44, or .45 ACP, I always ask if they save... and if they don't, I ask if I can have their brass. In that case, it's usually new, and I sort out what I don't want to reload when I get home. Some guys are really great about it, but occasionally, I run into a jerk who get's all nasty, and at that point, I walk away.

Major Tom
12-11-2015, 04:49
Especially after a LEO shoot, I pick up their brass. It's all once fired and nice and shiney.

joem
12-12-2015, 09:25
I shoot a bit of 9mm mak and try to pick up my brass. I don't look very close until I get home and find I picked up mostly .380 brass. Where does my Mak brass go? I seem to find only about 20%, the rest is nowhere to be found. There is chat around the covered shooting pavilion and I pick clean shinney brass. Where does it go?

barretcreek
12-25-2015, 11:05
We host hunters for a sight in days; makes enough money to pay the taxes on the club. I pick up the brass I know is new, it's worth the effort. Also the LEO brass if they leave it. The Feds are getting paranoid theirs will end up 'salting' a crime scene believe it or not.

PhillipM
12-26-2015, 04:47
My club has a rule that a shooter can leave brass laying on the ground. A bunch of retirees usually scavenge the range about daybreak, and I don't have a problem with that, good for them.

One day I watched a gentleman pick up all his once fired 223 and then walk past me to throw it in the trash! I educated him to just leave it on the ground and took home 115 pieces of nice clean brass.

Major Tom
12-27-2015, 05:05
At my range there is a 55 gal. drum just for brass. What a gold mine, er brass mine. A 5 gal. bucket will generally get me $50 at the scrap yard.

Dollar Bill
01-06-2016, 01:07
At my range, if it makes it to the brass bucket, it belongs to the range. If I see someone shooting 45, 308 or 30-06. I'll ask if I can have it. A handloader will say "no" up front so it's typically brand new (once fired) brass.