PDA

View Full Version : Early NM rifle rear sight question

dokcop
12-14-2015, 07:14
I've read that 1920 and 1921 SA NM rifles were routinely equipped with original long slide Lyman 48s and later with 48Bs both at Springfield and at Camp Perry, at the request of the purchasers. I've seen those claims several times in RIA auction write-ups as well.

Are Lyman 48-equipped guns of this era, with all NM features, accepted as genuine by collectors in the absence of documentation, or do they fall in the category of pre war Winchester M70s with tapped bridges, claimed as original by sellers because claims that "Winchester was known to tap receivers on request", etc.

Rumor has it that such a gun may be available locally….

Johnny P
12-14-2015, 01:06
The 1922 DCM Price List does not list the receiver sight as an option on the NM rifle, but does offer the "Lyman 48-B with taps" as an accessory.

I would look at the way the wood is inletted for the sight. I have a Special Target from 1916 that has a Lyman long slide sight that was added, and the inletting is not up to Springfield Armory standards.

John Beard
12-14-2015, 07:54
Seasons' Greetings!

I do not believe that a Lyman 48 rear sight is significantly detrimental to the value of a National Match rifle as long as the sight appears professionally installed, matches the overall condition of the rifle, and the rifle is otherwise intact and original. All too often, however, the M1905 rear sight was removed and discarded and, worse yet, the rear sight fixed base was ground off. Such rifles have limited collectability.

Hope this helps. Happy Holidays!

J.B.

Emri
12-15-2015, 06:26
All too often, however, the M1905 rear sight was removed and discarded and, worse yet, the rear sight fixed base was ground off. Such rifles have limited collectability.

I had one of those once. A 1919 NM no less. I decided to let someone else who had more access to parts restore it rather than try and find them myself !! Besides the rear sight butchery, the stock had been hacked off to make a "sporterized" deer rifle.

mhb
12-15-2015, 11:09
the NM 1903 rifle, per-se, would never have been equipped with any rear sight other than the NM-modified 1905, because it would then have been classified for competition as a match rifle, and not acceptable for service rifle - only competitions. The NM rifles have always been an optimized service type for service rifle match shooting, with modified and improved parts, but otherwise identical in features to the current service rifle.
It is true that the DCM sales program did offer the NM rifle with armory installed Lyman 48 sights, and a good number were sold that way, but, together with other options such as the NM Special package, they were not true NM rifles: later installation of the Lyman 48 or other rear sight would also disqualify the rifle for service rifle matches.

mhb - Mike

dokcop
12-15-2015, 04:48
Thanks to all for the good info. Y'all have a great Christmas. Dokcop