PDA

View Full Version : Interesting muzzle cover and SRS check request

Krag Fan
12-14-2015, 04:45
Greetings:

I recently acquired 1903 S/N 868702 and was wondering if it hit on SRS?

The rifle has an unusual muzzle cover. I don't know the guns entire history, but from what I do know it has been with the rifle for many years. i have never seen one like this, and was curious if they are very common, or valuable? It is a nicely machined piece of brass, and I love the way the checked end slides up to lock the cover around the barrel.

Also, scratched very faintly on the back side is "Cathcart 53 Regt" The 53 could also be a 63, there is some debate among those to who have looked at it. Is there any way to research Mr. Cathcart by regimental records? Do they even exist?

Thank you in advance for any information or insights.

Mitch

Gary L. Bush
12-15-2015, 01:34
Mitch,

I am able to answer one part of your inquiry.

Your sight cover was one of the first made exclusively for the 1903 Springfield after it became the official match rifle for the U.S. in 1908.

Over the next thirty-some years, several slightly different front sight covers were designed and made but only a few rear sight covers were designed and made for the 03.

The value is about $100. Many sellers of old and unusual gun gadgets think that these gadgets should pay for their retirement in Florida with the sale of one gun gadget.

Your sight cover is missing the muzzle cap. Please refer to the sight cover located at the top left in the attached picture.

Gary Bush

Krag Fan
12-15-2015, 04:47
Gary,

Thank you for the information, and the photo. Now I have something else to look for at gun shows! The list gets longer. I wondered about the end, it didn't make much sense to protect the sight and not the barrel crown. Maybe I'll try to find one with an end and swap it to this protector, I like that it has the name scratched on the side. As it is it will attract some attention from the "black gun club" when I put it in the rack at the range.

Thanks again,

Mitch

Jay Johnson
12-17-2015, 11:52
Gary Bush

I have a few of those.

The silver one on top in your picture, I have one as well marked "Made In England For P J O'Hare" with "AGP" below a rifle and broom logo in the middle; it won't fit any of my '03's, it's not tall enough, do you know what rifle it was made for?

Thanks

Fred
12-18-2015, 06:55
I believe it might be made for a Long Lee Metford or Long Lee Enfield rifle?

Gary L. Bush
12-18-2015, 08:05
Fred & Jay
The two sight covers top center row were listed in P. J. O'Hare catalogs as sight covers for the 1903 Springfield rifle. They both fit the 03 snugly by grasping the front sight fixed base.The cap can be removed while cleaning the bore, sight cover stays in place to protect the sight.
Gary Bush

Fred
12-18-2015, 08:26
Thanks Gary

Jay Johnson
12-18-2015, 09:21
Thanks Gary. The one I have that looks to be the same as the silver one on the top row of your picture will fit around the sight base as the lower cylinder of the cover is large enough, but the smaller top cylinder isn't tall enough to clear the top of the front sight by apx. .150", this is on my NM M1903A1 and also on my WWI M1903 sn 799,xxx, it also wont fit my M1922 M2.