PDA

View Full Version : FA 39 NM Brass

gpw_42
12-16-2015, 06:29
I've come across a place to get 100 pieces of this brass, mail order. No telling how many times it has been fired.

I assume it was originally loaded with corrosive primers. Is there any concern about those primers affecting the brass (strength, brittleness, etc), or just load and shoot? Would it need to be annealed?

Appreciate any insight you can offer,
Steve

Tuna
12-16-2015, 07:07
I would not bother with it. It's quite old, corrosive primed and as you said you have no idea how many times it's been loaded.
Good once fired brass or new brass is available.

joem
12-17-2015, 07:30
Pass on it. Not worth the trouble.

raymeketa
12-17-2015, 08:45
I agree with Tuna and joem. Probably not worth it. The 39 NM ammunition was nothing but standard Ball M1, selected for it's accuracy, with a special headstamp and packaging.

But should you decide to buy it, corrosive primers do not affect brass. Proper storage and/or the number of times it's been reloaded is what you need to be concerned with.

Jim in Salt Lake
12-17-2015, 02:36
I just came back from Cabelas and they have new Winchester .30-06 brass on the shelf for $23 for a bag of 50. Supplies of new are coming back, I wouldn't mess with that old, unknown stuff.

gpw_42
12-18-2015, 06:11
Gents,

Thanks for taking the time to provide your insight. Seller has some which is NIB, but I the collector in me decided that new commercial would be better than breaking that down for shooting.
Merry Christmas,
Steve