PDA

View Full Version : B2 NS bolt

dokcop
12-22-2015, 07:10
A friend and '03 guy (a Chosin Reservoir Marine who actually carried an '03 in combat, by the way), has a standard SA B2 bolt also marked n.s. on the top of the bolt handle. This same bolt, interestingly, has a "4" stamped on the top of the gas ported extractor (top in as next to the extractor collar when the bolt is closed.)

May not be rare, but neither he nor I can recall having seen either B2 and n.s. on the same bolt, nor the number 4 on the extractor. Are these known markings?

gnoahhh
12-22-2015, 11:49
I don't recall seeing such a beast.

I often wondered how many NS bolts became such through the shady use of an "N" and an "S" stamp in a basement somewhere down on Tobacco Road.

M1Garandy
12-22-2015, 04:29
FWIW, I've had a couple of B2 bolts and they were not marked NS.

Rick the Librarian
12-22-2015, 06:00
Me, too -- nothing that I've ever seen. Were NS and B2 on the same "side" (top)?

John Beard
12-22-2015, 06:20
Seasons' Greetings!

I believe I have seen a bolt marked like you describe, but I don't have a record of it in my data base. Can you post of picture of the marking? Please oblige.

I also seem to recall having a bolt in my collection erroneously marked "N.S./M2", and it's .30 caliber bolt, not a .22 caliber bolt.

The "4" marking on the extractor as you describe is a very common Remington marking.

Hope this helps. Happy Holidays!

J.B.

dokcop
12-23-2015, 04:43
I have not laid eyes on the bolt in question. It and it's owner live a fair ways north, and I am operating on a phone description.

John: I'll get a photo next time I see him and try to send it on, probably via email. Neither I nor the salty Marine in question have emerged very far into the computer generation...

RTL: I believe he said the NS and the B2 are on the top of the bolt root. I don't believe an 03A3 extractor would have a gas escape hole. Could an early Remington/RIA 1903 extractor have such a hole and the number "4"?

Regards and thanks for your replies. Happy and healthy Christmas to all. Dokcop.

John Beard
12-23-2015, 02:56
I have not laid eyes on the bolt in question. It and it's owner live a fair ways north, and I am operating on a phone description.

I don't believe an 03A3 extractor would have a gas escape hole. Could an early Remington/RIA 1903 extractor have such a hole and the number "4"?

Regards and thanks for your replies. Happy and healthy Christmas to all. Dokcop.

Seasons' Greetings!

Yes! An early Remington M1903 extractor could indeed have a gas hole and the number "4" stamped on the swell.

Merry Christmas!

J.B.