PDA

View Full Version : More long range 308 questions

Mickey Christian
12-24-2015, 06:37
Thanks for all the comments re: my last post.
Couple more ??? though.
In looking up loads I noticed some were compressed loads. How does a compressed load effect accuracy.
I guess that "long range" for me would be 600 yd or less, but I still would like to at least figure out maximum accuracy.
How do the different brands of brass stack up for accuracy.
Powder suggestions were IMR 4895 and Varget???
Other powder likes or dislikes?
Thanks,
Mickey

Matt Anthony
12-25-2015, 05:49
Removing post.....

Mickey Christian
12-25-2015, 07:16
I am using the responses to my questions as a guide to doing some of the work. Just looking for starting points to follow up on. The question about compressed loads being troublesome and suspicious....
It is simple...there are several published data sources that list compressed loads. I was simply asking what effect the compression has on accuracy. It seems that certain powders require compressing in certain loads.
I am a little surprised by your suspicions but you are free to not respond if you choose.
Most folks here on the boards are very helpful and willing to share their wealth of knowledge. I am not asking anyone to come and shoot my rifle for me, I am just looking for reasonable starting points form which I can do my own "work".
Again, thanks to all who offer assisting comments.
Regards,
Mickey

Litt'le Lee
12-25-2015, 10:27
I use RL-15 that was used for match loads with a Nosler J4 155 gr bullet--it shoots a 4" group at 400 yards out of my match Barnett/Douglas 308
Garand

barretcreek
12-25-2015, 10:59
Both Hornady and Sierra Club manuals have gas gun specific load sections. Something to keep in mind if you are loading for those. Bolt gun optimum loads may not be kind to a Garand, M1a or M110.

RED
12-25-2015, 02:51
Not pretending to be any sort of expert, but I have loaded compressed loads for a long time and it is my opinion that a compressed load is neither more nor less accurate than a non compressed load. For example, when I load 8X57 Mauser using 56 gr. of 4350 behind a 175 gr FMJ, the case is full and the powder is compressed when the bullet is seated. That load delivers more velocity and energy than 52 grs, and the increase in velocity may effect accuracy at extreme distances. Good or bad? That is going to depend on a dozen other parameters...