PDA

View Full Version : SG Stock??

George in NH
01-11-2016, 06:48
Having just purchased a SG carbine last Friday and not having the latest info on SG stocks (my books all date to 2012 or earlier and I have, as yet, to buy the War Baby set) the question is did Underwood (M-U) lateral support SG with stocks?? My new-to-me SG (that I believe is an unaltered "bring back") 3,449,xxx has all the outward signs of being original. Haven't had the time to detail strip the piece, hopefully soon. Also, the recoil plate is not marked on the visible portion. All the other usual features are SG. Pics may follow as time allows. TIA and Happy New Year!
George in NH

Tuna
01-11-2016, 07:22
There is nothing listed for Underwood sending stocks to S.G. Is there anything stamped in the sling well of your stock? S.G. did use some OI stocks from Inland and some from Trimble TN early on but the vast majority were Robert Irwin for S.G. and stamped RSG in the sling well.

George in NH
01-12-2016, 04:29
Tuna, thank you for the rapid reply! Sling well shows M-U, butt stock has the large SG (no serifs) in a box aligned with the grain (top of box pointed at the oiler) on the right side with a large upside down Ordnance Wheel closer to the pistol grip. NO sanding anywhere, all marks are crisp. No sign of any rebuild. Highwood stock, two rivet HG with type one band. Flat bolt, S on flip sight (no stake marks), upside down (as viewed) SG on face of magazine catch,etc. George in NH