PDA

View Full Version : Extracting broken sight screw

mr.j
01-14-2016, 05:59
I have extracted larger bolts and screws a couple of times before but does anyone here have any experience with extracting smaller screws like the rear sight screw's on the 1873 trapdoor. I have one broken screw flush with barrel Im worried about removing myself with the minimum experience I have with something like that. Would this be a easy fix for a gunsmith? Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.

joem
01-14-2016, 06:12
If you don't have the proper tools and exp, send it to a smith.

Johnny P
01-14-2016, 06:15
Our local gunsmith has a set of reverse twist drill bits. He center punches broken screw, and selects a drill bit just slightly smaller than the screw. Generally the screw will spin out about the time the drill bit goes through. Of course it takes a vise and drill press to do this.

mr.j
01-14-2016, 06:21
Thats what im gonna have to do but are these screws impossible to get out once broken will it be a waste of time? has anyone seen a screw this small extracted before and the age of gun don't help im sure, the screw is not rusted in.

mr.j
01-14-2016, 06:29
Thanks for the advice guys. I will take to a gunsmith and see what happens im sure they have tools that are far beyond what i have in my closet.

Kragrifle
01-17-2016, 06:03
The best way to remove this type of broken screw is with a Dremmel (sp?) bit. Jack Lewis is a gunsmith in Stout, Ohio. He removed a screw for me in a very nice G&H rifle. See if you can contact him.