PDA

View Full Version : What primers for match loads

Mickey Christian
01-16-2016, 08:32
My Speer reloading manual lists CCI mag primers for many ball powder loads.

What is the general consenses about using mag primers in match loads? Do they give good results.

I believe that CCI and Fed match primers have been mentioned. Which one has won more matches?

How well do mag primers work with Varget and/or other stick powders?

Tuna
01-17-2016, 07:10
Magnum primers sometimes work out good with stick powders and sometimes they make things worse. If you were using stick powders like 4985, 4064 or Varget in say a 308 or 30-06 then you very well might be better off using a match rated primer instead of a magnum. Magnum primers come into play with stick powders when your using a slow burning powder with a max load like 4831. The use of magnum primers can raise pressures from 4000 to 15,000 psi depending on the powders and cases being use. So always start with beginning loads and work up from there.

barretcreek
01-17-2016, 08:25
Bolt gun or gas gun? Hornady started listing separate data for AR, Garand and M1a loads a while ago. They also sell Garand specific loaded ammo. Sierra has a section on "how to load for gas guns" in its recent manuals.

They did that for a reason.

Sunray
01-17-2016, 09:17
Using mag primers in match loads isn't necessary. Magnum primers are about the powder used and nothing else. (Except extreme cold weather shooting.)
A primer alone won't win anything. They won't turn a load that isn't accurate out of your rifle into one that is.

Mickey Christian
01-17-2016, 09:49
Bolt gun.
I had some Fed match primers I planned on using but when I dug them out they were mag primers.
I guess my question is will using them as opposed to standard cause accuracy to be less than it could be with standard primers?

nf1e
01-17-2016, 03:16
They don't get much better than Federal 210M in my book.

Mickey Christian
01-17-2016, 06:43
Is a 210M a magnum primer?

nf1e
01-18-2016, 08:34
No sir. It is a match primer. They used to call it a bench rest primer but I noticed they call it match on the new packaging.

raymeketa
01-18-2016, 09:05
No sir. It is a match primer. They used to call it a bench rest primer but I noticed they call it match on the new packaging.

I've used the Federal 210M primers on all of my long range competition loads for at least 20 years. AFAIK, they have always been packaged as Match.

I have never noticed any accuracy improvement when using Match primers, not even in point-blank Benchrest. But, for such a small additional cost, why take a chance?

Ray

Mickey Christian
01-18-2016, 11:34
Thanks for your feedback.
Mickey

PhillipM
01-18-2016, 01:22
Wolf small rifle magnum is a very popular primer for NRA Highpower with the 223

nf1e
01-18-2016, 05:30
I've used the Federal 210M primers on all of my long range competition loads for at least 20 years. AFAIK, they have always been packaged as Match.

I have never noticed any accuracy improvement when using Match primers, not even in point-blank Benchrest. But, for such a small additional cost, why take a chance?

Ray

Here is a photo of 2 packages of 210M primers. Guess I have been at it a little longer than you.

Art

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0347_zpszp2blwcd.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0347_zpszp2blwcd.jpg.html)

raymeketa
01-18-2016, 06:10
Art

I kinda doubt that you've been at it longer than me.

Anyway, you originally posted that "they call it match on the new packaging." Your photo neglects to show the packaging as Gold Medal Match GM210M that was in use for over 20 years starting in the last years of the 20th Century..

barretcreek
01-18-2016, 07:13
Mickey,

One overlooked thing in a bolt gun is the firing pin spring. If your rifle is more than a few years old, or second hand replace the firing pin spring and degrease the interior of the bolt, lightly lubing the striker assembly with a synthetic oil made for gun use. If it is a Springfield, get a one piece firing pin. If it is a 700 with that %*&*^& J-lock replace it with a regular bolt shroud.

nf1e
01-19-2016, 03:10
Art

I kinda doubt that you've been at it longer than me.

Anyway, you originally posted that "they call it match on the new packaging." Your photo neglects to show the packaging as Gold Medal Match GM210M that was in use for over 20 years starting in the last years of the 20th Century..

New is a relative designation. Having been born in the first half of the 20th century as we both were, and with 50+ years at ammo loading, anything in the last 25 is new to me. My photo neglects nothing that I wished to show. Package on the right is the GM210M that is currently available.
It's a hobby, try not being so darned critical of someone's statement of facts.

Art

raymeketa
01-19-2016, 08:51
During the great primer shortage of the 1990s, Benchrest shooters had to use whatever primer they could find and it was usually not match grade. But, they found that it really didn't make any difference. Groups were just the same with either Standard or Match primers. The only differences between them are the packaging and an additional inspection during manufacture.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2isv8df.jpg

Jim in Salt Lake
01-19-2016, 10:28
+1 on standard vs. match primers, no real difference. To me, the important thing is consistently using the same components. After figuring out what works, I try to buy in big quantities ("big" being a relative term depending on how much you shoot!) so that I can turn out consistent ammo. That includes brass, powder, and bullets, too. I haven't changed my across the course loads for five years and I've been loading my long range the same for over a year now (my first year competing). Especially with long range, using the same ammo loaded with the same components and loading techniques, allows you to concentrate and learn how to shoot. If you can count on your ammo, that takes it out of consideration most of the time when a shot sneaks out to the 7 ring. With me, if it's a vertical miss, I know that my technique wasn't right. If it's a horizontal miss, then I screwed up a wind read. If you're constantly experimenting and trying different components and loading techniques, I think it's harder to figure out what went wrong when you throw a shot. I just don't think the brand of primer makes that big a difference in overall accuracy, although changing brands may change a zero. Changing bullets and powder brand/charge will affect it a lot more obviously. I like Wolf primers, small rifle magnum for across the course and large rifle for Palma. I buy them by the case for consistency. Also, at least in the Wolf's, the only difference between small rifle and small rifle magnum is the thickness of the cup, they both have the same priming compound.