PDA

View Full Version : new guy - looking to buy a Springfield 1879 Trapdoor - need some advice

rob30-06
01-19-2016, 06:28
Guys,
Been into mostly M1 Garands but have recently decided to expand my collection into earlier US issue rifles.
Need quite a few but came into a 1879 Trapdoor.
It looks really nice and is correct as far as I can tell.
Maybe some details:
serial # 247789
Cart on stock SWP 1883 in box (who can read these things?)
Comes with a bayonet with a US stamp
Bore is bright and clean
some patches of rust but pretty minor
1873 date on breech
Older style rear site - not sure what it is called.

Sorry, new here so not used to putting images but can email to whoever would want. My email is rrobinson@vacuumtechnology.com

The seller wants $750 but I would like to know some of the history on this before I pull the trigger.
I am troubled by the cart date of 1883 and the serial number that looks to be 1885.

Is the $750 a good current price?

help,
Rob

Dick Hosmer
01-19-2016, 09:52
That's a fair price for what you have described, and, that is an 1883 number - where did you get 1885, perchance?

rob30-06
01-20-2016, 01:56
Found a listing of serial numbers by year on the internet that listed the serial numbers by the first of each year.
The sight is called Gun Data. https://gun-data.com/springfield_trapdoors.html

I am glad to hear that the serial date and the stock match up. They look to have been together for quite a while and look good together.
Is there any way of telling where the rifles was originally sent?

Rob

Dick Hosmer
01-20-2016, 08:03
That is a site of which I was totally unaware. and that chart will bear some perusal. This is the site generally considered to be the best on for trapdoors:

www.trapdoorcollector.com

I'll look up your number - limited, and varying, data has survived on about 5% of production, so the odds are very long.

rob30-06
01-20-2016, 12:33
Mr. Hosmer,
You are a true gentleman. I saw where there was a site where you could enter the serial number and "maybe" get some info, but I hear that the gentleman that ran that has passed away. The site no longer appears to work, though is still there.
I do appreciate your taking the time to help me.
I will add the site you recommend to my browser for reference.
As a newbie to these rifles, my first attempt to learn about them has been thru the internet, but you have to be so careful about what you read, and then believe.
I can't recount how much on M1 Garands I have had to unlearn over the years:rolleyes:

thanks again,
Rob

Dick Hosmer
01-22-2016, 09:04
Rob,

I found nothing listed between 247609 and 247826.

The surviving data is what is is - some ranges are well-populated, others are barren.

You will not go wrong with the website I suggested. If any other questions, just ask.

rob30-06
01-22-2016, 04:54
Thank you for your efforts. Can't all be historically significant. I am sure that rifle would have a story to tell, if it could.

I am going to look at an alternative rifle offered by a CMP Forum member.
He indicates it is in better shape though lacks the stock cartouche.
It is an 1884 model that looks real clean and has a good bore.

With it missing the stock markings, which do you think is a better deal?
The 1884 is serial# 421768.

Not much to work on for an opinion, I know. Just how important is the stock markings in your view?

Sorry to pester you. Just want the best representative example of the trapdoor that I can get for my collection.

thanks,
Rob

Tkacook
01-22-2016, 05:31
Rob,

You're going to want more than one. At the very least a 50-70 representative and then 1873,1879, 1884 version and then 1888 ram rod version. That would be a good representation. I agree with purchase the best you can find.

Dick is a great resource here. Careful they multiply like rabbits.

Andy

rob30-06
01-22-2016, 06:21
Noooooo.

I got bit by the Garand bug a few years ago and have over 35 of them.
I REALLY want only one good representative example of the trapdoor.
I do not want to get bit. I will resist.
Only so much hobby my salary will support.

Dang, I"m doomed..................

Rob

mannparks
01-23-2016, 05:51
Rob ,there are to many variations of trapdoors to only have one.
Charles
P.s. And after all 35 Garands,come now.

rob30-06
01-23-2016, 12:22
Yea, I have had some folks say the 35 Garands is to many (my wife being one of them). I know other collectors that have WAY more than my meager collection.
I collect the US Arsenal Rebuilds from WWII thru the late 60's and research those as well.
To complete such a collection I would probably be close to 100 or more rifles, so I specialize in the rebuilds of the 60's which is a much more manageable number.
That portion is pretty much complete which is why I am looking around for something new, like one of each rifle type leading up to the Garand.

At least I hope it ends there....
Rob

steved66
01-24-2016, 07:01
Did you look at the rifles up for sale on Al Frasca's website? For a little more than the one in front of you you can pick up a good representative M1884, directly from one of the experts to boot.

Dick Hosmer
01-24-2016, 07:09
Excellent advice - not only does Al know exactly what he is offering, but his prices are fair (the guns move - usually within days - nothing else need be said) and his reputation is absolutely sterling. I've been at this for over 45 years, and have never heard anyone bad-mouth Al, ever. Of the popular auction sites, I am partial to Gunbroker, and have obtained some good deals there - but - you need to know what you are looking at. I do not even read the descriptions until I have looked at the pictures - in other words, I'll decide what it is (or is not).

11mm
01-24-2016, 04:03
Dick is absolutely right. You cannot go wrong buying from Al Frasca. It will be worth your while at least to compare what Al might have against the (similar) item you are looking at.

Dan Shapiro
01-24-2016, 04:15
"At least I hope it ends there...."

Hahahahahaha!

And Dick is spot on re: Gunbroker. You can find good deals (after wading through the BS)....but you do need to know what you're looking at. When in doubt, ASK!

rob30-06
01-24-2016, 06:18
Thanks guys.
I did not know about the rifles for sale on Mr. Frasca's site. Very nice.
OK I am pretty much over the rifle at my LGS (but really do like the stock) but am still going to look at the 1884 a fellow CMP Forum member has since he is somewhat local to me (I have committed to meet with him after all).
If I buy it, I will see if I can post pictures here so you can let me know how I did.
If I do not buy it, I will give Mr. Frasca a shot.
Not looking to get addicted, really just want a decent example.
Rob