PDA

View Full Version : field replaced stock question

mr.j
01-20-2016, 08:05
What exactly is a field replaced stock, Is it a newly made stock only that was sent out to the field by SA without being proofed marked since it was meant to replaced a already proof shot barrel with a broken stock out on the field.??

Dick Hosmer
01-20-2016, 08:08
That would be my understanding.

dave
01-20-2016, 01:40
I did not think it was a "proof" mark, but an inspection for entire rifle, with date of acceptance. A proof is a firing test with hi-pressure loads. Am I being too technical here?

Dick Hosmer
01-20-2016, 08:59
It's not clear. I understand what you mean about "proof" - and - none of the stock marks are "proofs" to begin with.

The circled "P" attests to the passing of a 5-round functioning test having nothing to do with strength, or even the stock, at all.

The SWP/date only indicates acceptance into Ordnance stores.

Some replacement stocks only have a number, or small initials, behind the trigger guard.

Some just have the "P" (possibly to indicate that the rifle it was going to be put on had passed that test?) but nothing else.

What replacement stocks usually do not have is the SWP/date marking. Of course a stock that was cannibalized on post, without contacting SA, while technically a "replacement" would be an "unofficial" one. This is probably what caused most of the date/number mismatches that we find today. Then, we must not discount Bubba, who has also contributed to stirring the pot.

No really clean-cut answer!