PDA

View Full Version : RtL's book sale - BOOK PRICES REDUCED!!

Rick the Librarian
01-25-2016, 05:35
Okay, time to move out the rest of these books – Prices reduced on ALL remaining books!!! Books which are starred (*) are good value or (I consider) “good reads”!

Gathered together are a large number of books on World War II as well as a few on other wars and topics. Take a look for “bundle” prices on multiple books for sale on one category.

A) Payment can be made by check or money order. I may have to hold checks until they clear unless you are known to me. Paypal can be used, but a 4% premium will be added to offset fees charged by Paypal unless you do it as a gift/family.

B) All prices do not include shipping. Shipping is done by USPS Media Mail, which I have found economical and secure. I will quote a shipping price, when you make an offer. Insurance is optional. Although I pack and ship very carefully, I can’t be responsible if you don’t insure large purchases.

C) Books vary in condition and I do my best to describe them properly. Books are hard-backed unless otherwise mentioned. Any questions will be gladly answered. I will also provide reasonable pictures of the books or their content if you want. Obviously, “I’ll take it” trumps over “Can you send me more information?” 

D) When you contact me about these books, please inquire by book title, not number. You can contact me through this forum or at –rrsbls@msn.com-- (remove dashes)

E) These books are listed on other forums. I endeavor to update this list as often as possible, but in the case of two people wanting the same item, I go by the date of the email/PM - "earliest" gets it. There may be a delay between someone "taking" the book and it showing up as sold.

I. “Rick’s Picks”

*1. “Helmet for My Pillow” by Robert Leckie. Leckie was a newspaperman who joined the Marines shortly after Pearl Harbor and went on 3-4 combat operations. We follow his odyssey, from basic training on Parris Island, South Carolina, all the way to the raging battles in the Pacific, where some of the war’s fiercest fighting took place. Recounting his service with the 1st Marine Division and the brutal action on Guadalcanal, New Britain, and Peleliu. Ex. trade ppk. $5.95 REDUCED to $4.50

*2. “Samurai” by Saburo Sakai; SPF

II. World War II Classics – These are “special” books that have stood the test of time, usually being written by (or about) those who were particularly noteworthy in WWII. ALL are paperbacked.

1. “The Greatest Raid of All” by C.E. Phillips. The British converted an old four-stack American destroyer into a German look-alike – the objective: to destroy a huge dock at St. Naizaire, in France. Ex. – near new, $3.95 REDUCED to $2.75

2. The Full Circle” by “Johnny” Johnson. Johnson was the leading British ace of WWII – 38 kills. This is his take on fighter tactics, mostly of WWII but earlier (WWI) and later. Ex. $3.95 REDUCED to $2.75

III. World War II

1. “Clash of Wings” by Walter Boyne. Long-time aviation author Boyne scores with this highly readable history of air power in World War II. Emphasizing the influence of all the involved countries' leaders in the uses and development of aircraft and associated weapons, this most recent of numerous histories of the subject has an impressive scope, clarity, and insight. Ex. to near new, $7.98 REDUCED to $6.50

2. “The Few” by Alex Kershaw. SPF

*3. “Sea of Thunder” by Evan Thomas SPF

4. “Halsey’s Typhoon” by Bob Drury. Halsey’s Typhoon is the story of World War II’s most unexpected disaster at sea. But in the midst of upcoming operations, Halsey attempts a complicated refueling maneuver and unwittingly drives his 170 ships into the teeth of a massive typhoon. Halsey’s men find themselves battling 90-foot waves and 150 mph winds—amid the chaos, three ships are sunk and nearly nine hundred sailors and officers are swept into the Philippine Sea. Near new trade ppk, $5.25 REDUCED to $4.00

*5. “Stalin’s Folly” by Constantine Pleskov. SPF

6. “A Blood-Dimmed Tide” by Gerald Astor. SPF

7. “Six Armies in Normandy” by John Keegan. The armies of six nations met on the battlefields of Normandy in what was to be the greatest Allied achievement of World War II. With dramatic, driving power, John Keegan describes the massed armies—American, Canadian, English, French, German, and Polish—at successive stages of the invasion. Ex. trade ppk., $5.50 REDUCED to $3.95

*8. “Army at Dawn” by Rick Atkinson. Volume one of Atkinson’s excellent three-volume history of the US Army in Europe, 1942-45. This details the North African campaign and the US introduction to combat. What they did right …and wrong. 600+ pages but VERY readable! VG trade ppk. $4.95 REDUCED to $3.75

9. “Death Squadron” by Grover Hall. SPF

10. “The Last Battle” by Cornelius Ryan. SPF

IV. Misc. Military History:

1. “Hell on Wheels: The Men of the US Armored Forces, 1918 to the Present” by C.J. Anderson. The excellent GI series continues with a look at the uniforms and equipment used by US Army tank crewmen from the beginnings of tank warfare in WW1 to the modern day. This is the first time an author has focused on just the armored troops, and it was long overdue. Most of the book covers the WW2 period, which it does quite well. Ex. large trade ppk., $6.00 REDUCED to $4.50

*2. “O Jerusalem” by Larry Collins. Collins and Lapierre weave a brilliant tapestry of shattered hopes, fierce pride, and breathtaking valor as the Arabs, Jews, and British collide in their fight for control of Jerusalem in 1948. O Jerusalem! meticulously re-creates this historic struggle. Collins and Lapierre penetrate the battle from the inside, exploring each party's interests, intentions, and concessions. A best-seller – very well-written. Ex. to near new trade ppk. $5.50 REDUCED to $4.25