PDA

View Full Version : New Guy.

thumper
01-25-2016, 03:05
Hi all. Thought I would take a moment to introduce myself. I owned an M1 back when I was a teenager and loved it. While I was away learning how to use an M-16, my step father sold my Garand and my British 303 enfield and I have wanted another Garand ever since.

Well yesterday a co-worker of mine mentioned that he knew where one was for sale locally and when I got off work I went straight over there and bought it!:banana100:

It has been a long time since I had mine but I can still remember the rush I got every time I fired it and am anxious to see if the rush is still there.

The guy I bought it from told me it has Match Sights on it and I noticed that the release for the trigger group on the back side of the trigger guard is not there:eek:, there isn't even a slot for it. The rifle is Springfield and the serial number indicates it was made in late 1942 according to the little bit of research I have done so far. Does it sound like it has an upgraded trigger in it along with the sights to any of you? There is also a stamp on the right side of the barrel that has S-A-10-42 on it bit is is so small I can't get a good picture of it.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

gwp
01-25-2016, 03:39
Welcome You may find the information listed at http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/fieldstrip.html or www.thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/M1GarandGuide.pdf helpful.

The trigger guard is the later stamped guard.

joem
01-25-2016, 04:15
Welcome to CSP. Nice looking rifle. I know you will enjoy shooting it. I've been shooting the M1 for over 20 years and it's always a thrill to pull the trigger on one of mine. Next you may want to start reloading for it.

tmark
01-25-2016, 07:30
As gwp stated, you have a post war trigger apparatus release mechanism. Pull back on it with your finger and down to release it. Sometimes I have to use a tool (dowel) on some of my Garands that are difficult to pull back on with my finger.

thumper
01-25-2016, 11:39
Thanks for the replies and thanks gwp and tmark for the links and tip on removing the trigger group as I was wondering how I was going to get it out.:1948:

Major Tom
01-26-2016, 03:49
Welcome! You definitely have the symptoms of the great disease called "Garanditis".

Litt'le Lee
01-26-2016, 12:02
You have a rebuilt rifle,the finish is beautiful,is there a stamp on the left side of the stock around the thumb position or a P
on the under side of the grip ??

thumper
01-26-2016, 02:40
No markings on the stock at all that I can see.

Griff Murphey
01-26-2016, 06:10
How about an NM stamped on the side of the barrel about 2" back from the front sight?

Once you get it out of the stock look for glass bedding around where the receiver rests in the stock. Note the color. You may have a privately made civilian match rifle or an actual National Match one. It should have the eagle stamp on side of the stock and a P on the pistol grip but you have already indicated that it is bare and unstamped. So a civilian match build is most likely.

thumper
01-27-2016, 12:22
Nothing on the barrel itself. It does have the NM stamp on the front sight. It is stamped NM 062

Griff Murphey
01-28-2016, 05:02
That's the width of the front sight, standard for match front sights, but a bit thin for us old farts. The rifle was probably upgraded for NRA high power competition and may have glass bedding. It should be legal for any NRA bullseye high power shooting and may be fired in CMP Garand unlimited class. Start dry firing and look for a CMP shoot; it's fun!

JimF
01-28-2016, 05:48
Looks to be a NM rear sight as well . . . capable of half-minute adjustments.

Raise the rear sight a mite, and you will see the "rack" stamped either .0595 or .0520 . . . indicating the diameter of the peep. --Jim