PDA

View Full Version : Book For a new Garand owner ?

JOHN COOK
02-01-2016, 09:30
Friend of mine recently received his Garand from CMP. I don't own a Garand and never have I fired one so I can't help with his questions. He has a birthday coming up and I suggested to his wife that she might consider Canfield's book on the Garand.

I would appreciate any input on this matter,

Thanks...

john in SC

dave
02-01-2016, 11:00
Never saw Canfields book, I am not a Garand collector but do have several. Early on, when I was buying from CMP, I bought Scott Duff's two books and that is all I have. I only used them for basic info, never all the info on correct numbered parts, etc. They are very good but Canfield is a good author and knows his stuff so his book is probably good also. If he is not going to really get into M1's (just the one) they may have 'too much info' and be a waste of money. On the other hand they may get him interested/started with a nice collection----if he can afford it!
I believe there are more basic cheaper books out there, like North Cape Publications.

gwp
02-01-2016, 11:02
Canfield's The M1 Garand Rifle is an excellent book but a little pricey at $96. The book The M1 Garand has all the latest information and is the best book available for Garand information. Bruce Canfield's Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine is older, less expensive and less detailed than The M1 Garand Rifle but it is available for $40.

Sunray
02-01-2016, 12:00
Hatcher's Book of the Garand and/or Hatcher's Notebook. Former runs about $15 from Barnes & Noble. The latter about $30 on Amazon.

Richard H Brown Jr
02-01-2016, 10:13
And if you're a cheap bastich, you can find downloads of the Hatcher book in .pdf format for free...
( www.milsurps.com/content.php?r-439-Hatcher-s-Notebook-(by-Julian-S.-Hatcher ). And if you just *happen* to go to www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=132-united-states there are are several US Army training films and books on the Garand.

Hatcher's Book of the Garand, is available online thru Barnes and Noble, Amazon. Or go straight to the reprint press ( www.cantonstreet.press.com )
for paperback or hadrcover versions.

Also the original FM's and TM's for the Garand are available in e-book formats on several sites.

R.H. Brown

JOHN COOK
02-02-2016, 06:50
Mr. Brown Jr.,, In your reply to my question, you implied that I might be a CHEAP BASTICH I'm pretty sure this word is a combination of the words BASTARD AND BITCH and I assure you I am neither one and I am not cheap. It's a shame when someone comes in here and asks a simple question that you have to resort answering in the manner you did.

Have a good day

john

psteinmayer
02-02-2016, 10:33
Actually, not that I'm condoning anyone calling anyone else ANY bad names... OR sticking up for /defending anyone else... but the term bastich actually came from the movie "Johnny Dangerously" (there was a gangster who mis-pronounced everything in that movie... including calling someone a "Dirty Bastich").

On a lighter note... when I purchased my last Garand from the CMP, I received a small pamphlet with it on operation, cleaning, and disassembly/assembly, which has proven to be invaluable! Also, the CMP has several nice, informative books on the Garand which won't break the bank.

02-02-2016, 12:51
On a lighter note... when I purchased my last Garand from the CMP, I received a small pamphlet with it on operation, cleaning, and disassembly/assembly, which has proven to be invaluable! Also, the CMP has several nice, informative books on the Garand which won't break the bank.

I would agree with the above. At this point he does not need Canfields " The M1 Garand Rifle". I would recommend buying ammo and enjoy the rifle for the purpose it was built. If in the future he decides he really wants to get into collecting M1 rifles, she can get him the book for Christmas.

Liam
02-02-2016, 02:40
I purchased this book when I got my CMP Garand. I found it invaluable when attempting to break down the M1 for the first time. Disassembly & reassembly are covered in the book, as is getting your battlefield zero and trigger job. Around $18 at Amazon. HTH

IditarodJoe
02-02-2016, 02:40
I would appreciate any input on this matter
John, it would be helpful to know more about your friend's interests and skill level relative to military surplus rifles in general. If he's somewhat of a novice in need of basic information, Scott Duff's "The M1 Garand: OWNER'S GUIDE" is a good compilation of fundamental information for the new owner. If he's a more experience military rifle owner who might be more interested in the history and rare variations of the Garand, I'd recommend one of Bruce Canfield's several books on the subject. If you think he might have a special interest in the details of the development of the Garand rifle, it would be hard to beat Julian Hatcher's "Book of the Garand". And if he's a skilled (or aspiring) gunsmith, I'd point you to Jerry Kuhnhausen's "The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles: A Shop Manual, Volumes I & II".

For what it's worth, I didn't take Richard Brown's post as being intended as an insult to you at all. Rather, I believe he was simply pointing out some sources that your friend might find useful that are readily available and at no charge. Over the years, I've found the better (authoritative) free material on the internet to be invaluable in pursuing the hobby. JMHO.

Dan Shapiro
02-02-2016, 03:08
HEAVY question.

As some have pointed out, what is your friends current expertise on military weapons?

CMP manual is straightforward and direct.
Duff's 2 books on the Garand are informative if somewhat outdated.
Canfield's latest book on the Garand has a wealth of new knowledge, especially from Winchester.
If your friend is into history, can't beat Billy Pyle's "Gas Trap Garand".
Maintenance? No beating Kuhnhausen.

Granted some of the books are "expensive". Best bet is to check Amazon.com and pick up a used copy.

As for being called "cheap". Some folks have no sense of humor or are overly sensitive. I've been called worse.

JOHN COOK
02-02-2016, 05:09
IditarodJoe , thanks for your input. He is a novice. I'll check some prices and contact his wife.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

john

Richard H Brown Jr
02-02-2016, 07:33
Sorry, lost a bit of my first sentence.

A cheap B* like me.

R Brown

JOHN COOK
02-03-2016, 08:24
Thanks for the explanation , I have a tendency to over react some times.:icon_redface: Except my apology for blasting away. All is well .....

john in SC