PDA

View Full Version : Model 70 target match rifle

CPC
02-05-2016, 05:33
I looked at an interesting pre 64 target rifle yesterday that I have a few questions about. The rifle is really nice. The barrel is a heavy bull in 270 with redfield tgt scope. It is marked dg poyer 270 over buhmiller. Not much info on the web regarding poyer. I'm familiar buhmiller barrels but poyer is a mystery. Any info would be appreciated as I'm considering buying it.

five 0
02-05-2016, 08:25
I looked at an interesting pre 64 target rifle yesterday that I have a few questions about. The rifle is really nice. The barrel is a heavy bull in 270 with redfield tgt scope. It is marked dg poyer 270 over buhmiller. Not much info on the web regarding poyer. I'm familiar buhmiller barrels but poyer is a mystery. Any info would be appreciated as I'm considering buying it.
Just a guess but Poyer was the person that the barrel was for?

Sunray
02-05-2016, 09:35
I'd be putting money that it's a varmint/coyote rifle not a target rifle. John Buhmiller being best known as a benchrest and varmint barrel maker. Not him that put that barrel on either. Buhmiller apparently did no M70's or much actual smithing at all.
Poyer was most likely the guy who paid to have the rifle built. Possibly the smithy who actually built it.
Any S/N on the thing? Might be able to narrow the build time/era down that way.

CPC
02-05-2016, 09:59
I guess a bench rest gun would be more appropriate. Sn range is 83k. After buhmiller is 12 t. I found where DG poyer was a gun maker in grand island Nebraska Listed 1951-56. Found that on Internet. To remove the bolt you have to remove the top of the comb on the rifle. Buhmiller was a well known barrel maker just have not heard of poyer.

Cosine26
02-05-2016, 10:33
I would suspect that 12t indicates 12 inch twist. Looks like a special order rifle built to someone's spec.