PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Malfunction Analysis

Clark Howard
02-06-2016, 11:13
Hello Boys- After almost 60 years of shooting, owning, carrying, and smithing 1911 pistols military and civilian, I have run across a malfunction that stumps me. The pistol is an Arcadia Machine Tool stainless Government Model in 45 ACP. I have put at least 200 rounds through it with no problems. Yesterday at the range, after three magazines. the forth magazine stovepiped the second round and the last round. The first was cleared without a problem. However, the last round in the mag stovepiped, and I could not move the slide. I fished the fired case out with my finger, but the slide was still locked in the half-closed position. I was unable to move the slide by hand, but a few taps with the hide mallet popped it loose. It appears to function properly with no friction or hard spots. Upon disassembly, I find no parts damaged or marked. The hood on the barrel is fitted to the slot on the slide, and both are .025" narrower than USGI specs. I would appreciate any input on what you think may be the problem. By the way, I was firing PMC 230 gr hardball factory ammo. Thanks in advance for your consideration. Regards, Clark

SMOKEY
02-06-2016, 02:40
Well sir, I surely do not have the creds you do but in my experiences, magazines have been the culprit, especially if they are old military issue ones. Let us know if you find the problem. Good luck

Clark Howard
02-06-2016, 07:00
The magazine was a new Chip McCormack. The jam occurred after the round fired as the case was extracting. The fired case was not trapped between the barrel and slide, as it was removed easily with a finger. I am beginning to suspect a problem with the barrel link, but I do not see any damage. Regards, Clark

Major Tom
02-07-2016, 03:01
I am confident with your expertise that you will find and fix the problem. But, be sure to let us know how it turned out!

02-07-2016, 04:32
Replace the easy items first, Mag, Extractor, springset. ammo.

Clark Howard
02-07-2016, 11:14
Mystery solved-It was me! After a complete tear-down and exhaustive check of all critical dimensions, (Thanks to Jerry Kuhnhausen), I reassembled the pistol and held it in my hand. Every third or forth cycle of the slide would hang up about 3/4" before battery. The hide hammer was required to move the slide. I then noticed that the extended slide release was contacting the beautiful set of smooth rosewood grips that I installed after Christmas. Normal pressure would release the slide, but it was still touching. After removing the grip panel and sanding off about .030" from the top edge, everything functioned normally. I went to the backyard and ran 28 rounds thru four mags to check function. This will probably be the last rounds down range here, as I am getting 121 new neighbors soon. Lesson learned, I am better with GI plastic grips. Thanks for looking at my problem. Regards, Clark