PDA

View Full Version : WW2 1911A1 missing the inspectors mark

colt thompson
02-10-2016, 06:19
Just saw this on GB
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=541702595

Chaz
02-11-2016, 01:35
It should have a boxed WB. I've never seen one without an inspector's stamp and don't know how rare it is, but that seems like an awful lot of money to pay for that particular pistol. Am I wrong? C

ignats
02-11-2016, 05:12
It should have a boxed WB. I've never seen one without an inspector's stamp and don't know how rare it is, but that seems like an awful lot of money to pay for that particular pistol. Am I wrong? C

Based on the lack of bids, I would say other people agree with you. Anomalies are interesting but, IMO, don't add a significant value to the gun. I think some people get a little too excited over things like that. As quickly as nice M1911 and M1911 A1 pistols sell on GB and elsewhere, I suspect the seller is just a little too optimistic.

colt thompson
02-12-2016, 05:33
I'm curious how it came to be. Does the lack of the inspectors stamp mean it was rejected?
Was it an oversight?
Possible lunch box gun (stolen off the line?)

emmagee1917
02-12-2016, 08:04
I'm curious how it came to be. Does the lack of the inspectors stamp mean it was rejected?
Was it an oversight?
Possible lunch box gun (stolen off the line?)

All the above are possible .
Chris

Scott Gahimer
02-12-2016, 01:41
I show about 5 or 6 original guns with no final inspection mark on my web site. Whether or not the gun has a final inspection has nothing to do with its originality. When a Colt pistol is original, they most generally will letter as shipped...just like any other M1911A1. I have one particular Colt that not only letters, but even has documentation in the National Archives that it was assigned to the USS Tisdale during WWII.

So while a M1911A1 should have a final inspection, it doesn't have to in order to be original.