PDA

View Full Version : Question on Rem. 03A3 finish

robh5
02-18-2016, 06:42
I have a Remington 03a3 with a barrel date of 5-43. The finish on all the metal is blue, even the receiver, no parkerized parts.
Most a3's I've seen have a mix of blue and parkerized parts. Is this some what unusual?
The gun is basically in new condition, and has an Ogden stamp, along with the FJA cartouche. Thanks.

Johnny P
02-18-2016, 07:53
On an original Remington 03-A3 of that vintage the receiver, barrel, and safety will be in phosphate with all other parts blued. Someone has blued it after it left the military.

robh5
02-19-2016, 02:12
The parts you mentioned never had a phosphate finish. The chamber is in the white, the markings are crisp.Receiver and barrel were never buffed to take off an existing finish. Everything match's in color.

Parashooter
02-19-2016, 02:33
It's entirely practical to perform a hot-salt "blue" job right over clean phospate - no removal or buffing required. The result can be a nice black matte finish.

Johnny P
02-20-2016, 06:46
The parts you mentioned never had a phosphate finish. The chamber is in the white, the markings are crisp.Receiver and barrel were never buffed to take off an existing finish. Everything match's in color.

I have no idea what yours looks like, but this is the finish it should have.

http://i67.tinypic.com/mcf4h3.jpg