PDA

View Full Version : Properly installing the Redfield 102K?

S.B.
02-19-2016, 03:47
I was lucky enough to come across one of these. I've had my eyes open for one for some time. Now, I need to pick your expert brains on how to install it one one of my Krags, please? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
TIA, Steve

butlersrangers
02-19-2016, 08:42
I responded more fully on the Krag Collectors Association Forum.

BTW - Did your Redfield #102-K come with its longer side-plate screw and the 'sheet-metal' hook & screw that clamps the base to the receiver's magazine cut-off opening?

Early Redfield 102-K instructions and later William's Gunsight instructions:

S.B.
02-20-2016, 05:05
Arrived with two screws for the magazine plate and yes both the hook and screw for that.
Steve

jon_norstog
02-20-2016, 08:14
My own experience with that sight is that it doesn't stay put. I ended up using the side-cover screw and putting some Gorilla Glue under the base. After which the whole thing staYED put for a full hunting season.

jn

butlersrangers
02-20-2016, 08:39
'jon' puts some hard service on his rifles!

JimF
02-21-2016, 06:55
Have the same sight on my Krag, but I had to make a plug to fill the vacant hole in the receiver in order to insure good, smooth, feeding from the magazine. Why Redfield didn't provide a plug is a mystery to me. --Jim

butlersrangers
02-21-2016, 07:35
Initially and for many years, Redfield Instructions said to 'toss' the magazine cut-off and claimed its absence a Positive. In time, it was realized this added a roughness to cartridge feed as the case-rim passed over the 'cavity'.

Later instructions advised cutting the 'Head' (lever) off of the cut-off shaft and re-inserting the shaft in the receiver opening.

The potential problem with this method is that alignment of the 'flat' on the shaft is important.

'JimF' is correct. It would have been nice if Mr. Redfield (originally 'Western Sight Co.') had put more thought into this. (I like how the Pacific receiver sight utilized its own shaft as a 'mounting point').

Then again, "Back in the Day", all of these 'After-Market Sights' (Pacific, Redfield, and Rice) worked pretty good, could be installed by the owner, and were a cheap improvement for Hunting. (Lyman and Marble products required drilling & tapping).

S.B.
02-21-2016, 07:50
butlersranger, don't forget, there no un reversible damage to your valued Krag rifle as well with the no drill. I dought I'll alter the original cutoff lever but, may consider buying a spare and try this?
Steve

JimF
02-21-2016, 08:07
. . . .I dought I'll alter the original cutoff lever but, may consider buying a spare and try this?
Steve

Rather than alter an expensive original part, I suggest making a plug . . . .

Mine started out as a piece of tool steel, .207" dia., 2 inches long.

Carefully filed/stoned a "flat" on one end .450" long, .110" thick.

Chucked the rod in an electric drill and filed a notch in the other end to provide purchase for thumb nail in order to remove the rod for any future need.

In order to stop the rod from rotating in receiver, I cut a tiny notch, or flat spot, in the side, which also lets the tiny sheet-metal clip that comes with the sight to engage the receiver at it's correct location.

Sounds a mite complicated, but it is not!

Works like a charm . . . . SMOOTH feeding is the result! --Jim

jon_norstog
02-21-2016, 08:16
I almost forgot about the cutoff! I had a Pacific sight prior to the Redfield. The sight came loose from the base in the field. When I changed over sights- I did that in hunting camp - my "carfle" wouldn't feed with more than 2 rounds in the magazine. I put the Pacific base back in, problem solved. The glue was later, to resolve the issue of the sight base shifting from recoil.

jn