PDA

View Full Version : Winchester rear site - repro?

anton67
02-21-2016, 08:45
In looking at this rear site, it appears to me to be either a repro or the wrong site (no S).
Can anyone verify my suspicions one way or the other?

gsp45
02-21-2016, 01:40
Anton, Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you fiddle, scrub and rub on an original Winchester for 3-4 days? Do you not remember what that original looked like? If anything you should take photo's for your own reference. Not to sound too harsh, but this one is easy.

Tuna
02-21-2016, 06:49
A fake like this doesn't get much easier to spot.

jonnyo55
02-23-2016, 08:36
The receiver's been refinished as well...WRA carbines (as well as Garands and parked M12's) featured a very distinctive milky grey-green color to the phosphate finish when new.

jimb
02-24-2016, 08:30
That is one of the finest examples of a fake rear sight that I've seen in a long time. Just about everything that they ever did wrong is shown here!

anton67
03-05-2016, 12:37
Anton, Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you fiddle, scrub and rub on an original Winchester for 3-4 days? Do you not remember what that original looked like? If anything you should take photo's for your own reference. Not to sound too harsh, but this one is easy.

I thought it was fake.
No need to be negative about it.
Yes I remember what the site looked like but there are multiple manufacturers of sites.
Also nobody will really tell you how to spot a fake on an open forum because they are afraid the fakers will see the postings.
So I was just making sure.
I think I am starting to figure out some of the ways to spot fakes.
This one doesnt have the "S" on either side.
I didnt see any stake marks though - maybe I am missing them.

jimb
03-06-2016, 03:08
There would be stake marks on the receiver dovetail AND on the sight around the sight pin. Those around the sight pin could be a O, >O< or -O- depending on the maker and date.